Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I've always admired men who have a tightly regimented morning routine. Men who make their bed, shave, brush their teeth, and properly prepare for the day.

I am not one of them.

I recognize the value of having a structured routine and I certainly recognize the value of properly preparing to meet the day as well as everything else that goes with it.

Discipline of mind and body are virtues. Damn it, Jim, I'm a doctor, not role model. I flop out of bed, my wife hands me my coffee, I go outside with my pipe and paper and waste a few hours.

But I want to do better.

Let's begin with morning routines - who out there practices and has a structured morning routine and how does it improve your day?

• Love
Reactions: JOHN72

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
Mine isn’t so much as structured as it is a list of things I have to do before I can start my day. I have to stretch, drink water, drink coffee and eat, take my migraine meds and vitamins and floss, brush and shower before I start my day. I haven’t made my bed in 30 years. Seems like a waste of time.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I dont have to go to work everyday so no..not me.

I get up, feed the dog, make coffee and something to eat.
Then I take the dog for a walk so he has some exercise.
Then I take the rest of my coffee and have a pipe.
What follows varies.
Light snack at 11 or I get the shakes from a sugar crash.

I like my morning routine and the pipe fits in just perfect.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
It isn’t necessarily my morning routine, but what I’ve done after I get up for the last forty-four years: I floss and brush my teeth, do fifty half-assed pushups to get the blood going, fifty crunches, then make tea or coffee.

• Love
Reactions: JOHN72

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
An hour + of yoga and resistance training, brush teeth, take morning meds, take a shower every other day, unless I’ve up a sweat, make the bed. Some days I follow that with a 5 mile walk, then a bowl of oatmeal, some days it’s breakfast before the walk.
I have the occasional day that I skip some of it, especially if that day’s workload is unusually insane, but the stretching is core.
This helps provide a structure that I carry through the day. I’m hardly disciplined. Just not pathologically undisciplined.
If I ever reach the point where sitting on my porch, yelling, “Get off my lawn!” is the highlight of my day, please call the crematorium. I’m done as toast.

SmokingInTheWind

Might Stick Around
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
Weekdays, I awaken, brush teeth, shower, shave, get dressed, pour coffee (that was made with a timer) into two different Yeti tumblers, grab my lunch (leftovers from cooking on the weekends or dinner from the night before), and head to work.

That is my routine, in the same order, except I wait until I get to work to have my coffee. My lunch is exactly the same.

Weekends are more flexible.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I wake up at 4 AM. If I am in NY I prod Mrs Condor to see if she wants me to 'Park the car in the garage'. If she says no then it's a 'hand party' in the shower followed by a shave. I usually tend towards heavy canvas shorts and shirts when I am down in Florida, in Britain we used to call them 'Empire Builders' since the legs move but the starch in shorts precludes any other movement. I am usually at my desk by 4.40/5 AM with my first cup of Espresso cutting up the days supply of plug/twist as I read any emails that have come in over night. I usually smoke two bowls before 7 AM and then tackle breakfast which is a couple of slices of Keto toast with Marmite or Wasa crackers with some cheese, herrings or pickles. If I am in NY then I boil a couple of eggs for Mrs. Condor and if I am in Florida then I have eggs on Wednesday and Sunday. From breakfast until dinner time I plough through the day with the odd break to stretch my legs or select a new pipe or change tobaccos. Thats my day and it really never changes or varies much!

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I am wondering how important shaving is to the routine?
Not mine. I shave every other day so it’s just an additional thing on the mornings I shave but it happens at the same time.

I follow the same habits regardless if it’s a workday, weekend or vacation. It puts my day in motion even if that motion is drinking coffee for the following hour.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Grooming is fundamental, a good shave, perfumed. The liturgy of a good coffee on the fire. The first cigars or tobacco of the morning, a few drinks of your favorite beverage, with or without alcohol. I don't know if I should call it routine, maybe a routine philosophy of life, hahahahahaha. I love reading. I'm a person who likes order, discipline, philosophical meditation on who I am, where I'm going, and where the fuck I'm going when I'm fucked up. I mean, when I die.

Last edited:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
1: Fall out of bed.
2: Scratch nuts.
3: Fumble around for specs.
4: Stagger to kitchen to switch on coffee.
5: Stagger to bathroom for ablutions.
6: Pick up coffee & stagger to sitting room to swallow a bucket load of pills.
7: Boot up laptop and read news.
8: It is at this point I actually start to wake up.

That's pretty much been my routine for years.

Jay.

lupy1234

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2023
Wake up, pee, brush teeth, walk down the stairs, get dressed for work, grab keys, phone and lunch, walk to door, open door, walk to car, unlock car door, put key in ignition, turn on car, press clutch, put in 1st gear and then drive to work.

That's during work days.

Weekends whatever floats my boat.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
I like to get outside as soon as possible after I awaken from the night. That usually happens while it's between 1:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m. I walk about a mile with a pipe to smoke and back in for fixing coffee and breakfast.

Reactions: fireground_piper