PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ItsKarl

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2024
Norway
Hello Carl, when it comes to those aforementioned tobaccies, Tiedenmanns nro 2 , Petteröes blanding and Asbjörnsen's Eventyr, as far as I'm informed , there were varous cuts, as Fine snit nro 3 and : nro nr, 2 as fine cut /and medium fine cut:: good for use both in pipes and making your own cigarettes
as a rule, these are light Virginiä forward tobaccies which you should smoke very slow and pack em tight in the bowl
Asbjørnsen went belly-up in 2005, but apparently the Eventyr brand lives on, owned by Imperial Tobacco. Of course, these days you have to know what to ask for, since it's all behind the counter and out of sight - with neutral packaging, all in drab olive green. Pipe tobacco is so far exempt from neutral packaging, but you pretty much have to go online to find it.

Trainpipeman

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2021
Rhode Island
Far from it, I'm afraid. I'm in the north-west (in Norwegian terms - I suppose on the bowl just next to the shank in pipe terms). But I might look you up when I'm there next puffy
We have been to Oslo, twice, and made it a point to attend an Oslo Pipe Club meeting. It is too bad that you are not near Oslo.

We have also visited Tromsø. Are you near there?

Reactions: ItsKarl

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Welcome from France. lots of good advice to be had here. Some of the better advice I got was about drying. It should feel dry to the touch. It doesnt have to be brittle. Ive had best luck loading by taking a loose pinch and putting it gently in the bowl. That fills about 3/4. Then I take a smaller pinch and put it on top gently compressing it. Then when you tamp only tamp (after lighting) only tamp from the edges inward so you feed the fire. Tamp gently. After some experimentation you will get what works for you. You will always have relights but constant relights are annoying, they can burn you a bit and the char lights dont taste as good.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Welcome from Pennsylvania and New York.

I suspect the three step method has gotten more new pipe smokers off to a bad start than just about any loading technique. @AJL67 and @Sigmund ’s suggestions are probably better starting points. Good luck! I look forward to seeing your pipe journey documented here in the forum.

@Flatfish doesn’t smoke, but has stuck around for the exchanges and camaraderie. So, even if pipe smoking doesn’t stick, you still could.

ItsKarl

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2024
Norway
Thank you all very kindly for your welcomes and all your advice! I have decided to document my progress from blundering novice to qualified pipe smoker in a separate thread, here. Hopefully I will have some decent skills by the end of the year, and maybe my mistakes will make other novices take heart that no matter how much they feel they suck at smoking, there's always someone even worse 😄

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Welcome Karl, sounds like you had a better experience on your first try than I did. I was a teenager in a field avoiding my parents with a drugstore pipe and tobacco. I still knew there was something I liked about it, and tried again, and again......

Superman Pipe.jpg

RPK

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2023
Central NJ, USA
Welcome from New Jersey, USA. I was a heavy smoker for many, many years and stopped for quite a while before I picked up a pipe I had bought back tin the 70's. I've since gotten back to smoking the pipe and have purchased a few additional and tried various tobaccos. It's been about 5 years now thatI'm back but with each new bowl I find I am learning something different and the wealth of information on this site has been very helpful. Slow it way down and enjoy.