Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I rub it fairly vigorously on something other than the pipe stem to warm it up a bit. You'll see what I mean when you start rubbing it, it'll soften up to about the consistency of feta cheese. Then just rub it with a fair amount of pressure into the logo, when your happy with the logo fill just wipe the surface off and set the stem aside for the fill to dry. Occasionally a stem will take two applications.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I rub it fairly vigorously on something other than the pipe stem to warm it up a bit. You'll see what I mean when you start rubbing it, it'll soften up to about the consistency of feta cheese. Then just rub it with a fair amount of pressure into the logo, when your happy with the logo fill just wipe the surface off and set the stem aside for the fill to dry. Occasionally a stem will take two applications.
You're disgusting... I NEED AN ADULT I NEED AN ADULT!!!

Thanks, i'll give it a try, after a couple bowls, this pipe is an amazing smoker!

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Ok you guys, simmer down... :LOL:
I've been using these for over 30 years. I initially got white, red and yellow sticks to fill in the engravings on camera lenses when I used to repair old camera equipment. I still have them and even though they've gotten a little harder over the years, if I warm the tip with a lighter flame a little they still work fine. I've even filled in the dot on old Dunhill stems using the white one. But with that, because it's deeper, after I fill it in I leave just a thin space at the top which I fill with super glue. That way when I refinish the stem with micro mesh pads and polish it, it's shiny just like a new one. All of these fixes take time and patience to achieve the look you want. (This might not be George D. approved, but it works good enough for a crummy pipe)

AD2C2618-5885-49E1-B054-A683F173759B.jpeg
93193C36-ECDB-4E27-84D3-FF4570D6159B.jpeg

Last edited:

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I've been using these for over 30 years. I initially got white, red and yellow sticks to fill in the engravings on camera lenses when I used to repair old camera equipment. I still have them and even though they've gotten a little harder over the years, if I warm the tip with a lighter flame a little they still work fine. I've even filled in the dot on old Dunhill stems using the white one. But with that, because it's deeper, after I fill it in I leave just a thin space at the top which I fill with super glue. That way when I refinish the stem with micro mesh pads and polish it, it's shiny just like a new one. All of these fixes take time and patience to achieve the look you want.
That is what I'm looking at the Barling logo is very very very shallow, i will be giving it a try, even if it doesn't work not like I'm going to cry over it i buy pipes to smoke them, still going to try it on this pipe and the Pete's meer that also is lacking the fill in the logo.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I've been using these for over 30 years. I initially got white, red and yellow sticks to fill in the engravings on camera lenses when I used to repair old camera equipment. I still have them and even though they've gotten a little harder over the years, if I warm the tip with a lighter flame a little they still work fine. I've even filled in the dot on old Dunhill stems using the white one. But with that, because it's deeper, after I fill it in I leave just a thin space at the top which I fill with super glue. That way when I refinish the stem with micro mesh pads and polish it, it's shiny just like a new one. All of these fixes take time and patience to achieve the look you want. (This might not be George D. approved, but it works good enough for a crummy pipe)

View attachment 308277
View attachment 308278
Maybe not George-prove, but this looks perfectly tolerable to me :)
Actually a paintstick is George's favourite jobbie for filling logos on f.i. Charatan stems etc.
I adopted his method; warm the stick and rub it in the logo, then wipe off excess with a tissue in kind of a "rolling motion".
Works perfectly smooth and easy; dries fast and is a perfect off-white color.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
That is what I'm looking at the Barling logo is very very very shallow, i will be giving it a try, even if it doesn't work not like I'm going to cry over it i buy pipes to smoke them, still going to try it on this pipe and the Pete's meer that also is lacking the fill in the logo.
On very very very shallow logos I use this stuff;
Dries very very very fast and rock hard, can be dilluted with aceton.

Reactions: AJL67

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good luck!

I just checked one of my Barlings that's been in storage for a while, and it's smooth where it shouldn't be. I can make out that there are crossed letters, but doubt a white stick would find an impression to sink into.

Reactions: AJL67

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA

View attachment 308277
View attachment 308278
What a fine resto!
What were the things on the shank? Repair? Decoration? Coverup?

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I have no idea what the previous owner used, but there was a fine crack in the shank and he used some kind of black tape and a metal ferrel from something that was too big. I fixed the crack using super glue and it's held up just fine for years. I bought a total of 4 beat to shit Dunhills from a seller on eBay that all had black tape on the end of the shank, but this was the only one that had a crack in the shank. I had to do some radical repairs on all of them, including cutting off the bowl on one where there was barely a bowl left. I added a corn cob bowl on to make probably the first patent era Duncob. They were a hot mess, but I made all of them smokable. Fun stuff!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Roach1

Can't Leave
Nov 25, 2023
Germany
I have been trying to touch up my Logos that I almost ruined sanding oxidation. I am using an acylic paint pen 0.8mm with no luck. My hands are not steady enough I guess.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have been trying to touch up my Logos that I almost ruined sanding oxidation. I am using an acylic paint pen 0.8mm with no luck. My hands are not steady enough I guess.
With acrylic paint (nail polish?), you paint over the logo, then sand excess off. At least that's what I do. Trying to fill in a stamped logo sounds impossible.

Reactions: Roach1