PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TampaPete

Might Stick Around
Jul 7, 2023
Tampa, FL
Hello all,

I did a cursory search, but didn't find the question I want to pose, so, hopefully this isn't a dupe...

I've started to really develop a obse... fondness for older (60s-70s) Dunhill's. I firmly believe in getting what you pay for, but what is it about the White Dot that makes them worth the money? Is it the name/collectable, consistently good construction, smokable/mechanical properties? One of the attributes that I like is that they seem to be very easy to date, making it easy to find a pipe from a specific year, for example.

I know this is a fairly open-ended question, but, there you go :)

TampaPete

Reactions: grimpeur

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I suspect you're about to get lots of replies about how overrated Dunhills are, how bad their construction is, and how they're too expensive!

I do think people often overpay for fairly 'run-of-the-mill' Dunhills, and if you're patient you can pick them up for £20-£50 or in joblots.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with your comment about them being easy to date. That and the brand recognition make them very collectable. I also think they are usually very good pipes. I have 5 at the mo, and have had others. I've always found they smoke really well, and most Dunhill shapes have a timeless, understated style. Despite them being 'easy' to collect (whatever that really means), lots of serious collectors have chosen to collect Dunhills, and I don't think so many people would have chosen them if they were bad pipes (they're simply not; though there may be some that slipped through the QC net).

Are there better pipes? Of course. But so what?

TampaPete

Might Stick Around
Jul 7, 2023
Tampa, FL
I suspect you're about to get lots of replies about how overrated Dunhills are, how bad their construction is, and how they're too expensive!

I do think people often overpay for fairly 'run-of-the-mill' Dunhills, and if you're patient you can pick them up for £20-£50 or in joblots.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with your comment about them being easy to date. That and the brand recognition make them very collectable. I also think they are usually very good pipes. I have 5 at the mo, and have had others. I've always found they smoke really well, and most Dunhill shapes have a timeless, understated style. Despite them being 'easy' to collect (whatever that really means), lots of serious collectors have chosen to collect Dunhills, and I don't think so many people would have chosen them if they were bad pipes (they're simply not; though there may be some that slipped through the QC net).

Yeah, I expect a pretty wide range of responses, but that's what makes the forum great :col:
You nailed it on the head with the "timeless, understated style" part, which of course can be found with pretty much any brand that's been around for a few decades. That being said, I wouldn't pass up a beautiful artisan pipe for a Dunhill, all things being equal, just because "it's a Dunhill".

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
I like their stem material and their style and I think the older pipes are great. The newer stuff seems a shadow of what they once were but they are definitely well made. They have their place and the history they represent is undeniable. I love the old sandblasted classic shapes and can’t think of a better set than 7 of those bad boys. Beware of paying too much, be patient

jaingorenard

Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I like their stem material and their style and I think the older pipes are great. The newer stuff seems a shadow of what they once were but they are definitely well made. They have their place and the history they represent is undeniable. I love the old sandblasted classic shapes and can’t think of a better set than 7 of those bad boys. Beware of paying too much, be patient
They still make some very nice pipes - some of the modern ones are really great pipes; I just think they cost far more than I would want to pay. I personally prefer the older sandblasts too.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
but what is it about the White Dot that makes them worth the money?
Very simply, it's that someone is willing, for any of a number of reasons, to pay the money. The rest will be the subject of endless debate.

I did a cursory search, but didn't find the question I want to pose, so, hopefully this isn't a dupe...
Would you believe it! It's not exactly the first time the question has been posed.

Learning basic search skills can be useful:

I guess since the McClelland threads have died down, the Dunhill threads are staging a comeback. Then what would come next? Another round of Esoterica threads, or are we due for a revival of "manliness" threads.

lraisch

Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
Hello all,

I've started to really develop a obse... fondness for older (60s-70s) Dunhill's. I firmly believe in getting what you pay for, but what is it about the White Dot that makes them worth the money? Is it the name/collectable, consistently good construction, smokable/mechanical properties? One of the attributes that I like is that they seem to be very easy to date, making it easy to find a pipe from a specific year, for example.

I know this is a fairly open-ended question, but, there you go :)

TampaPete
The three I have are all good smokers, but nothing very special. The older Shell finish pipes are my preference and I was able to use their dating to acquire a "birth year" pipe. Other than that, I think they are overpriced.

Reactions: TampaPete

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Very simply, it's that someone is willing, for any of a number of reasons, to pay the money. The rest will be the subject of endless debate.

Would you believe it! It's not exactly the first time the question has been posed.

Learning basic search skills can be useful:

I guess since the McClelland threads have died down, the Dunhill threads are staging a comeback. Then what would come next? Another round of Esoterica threads, or are we due for a revival of "manliness" threads.
THE ART OF MANLINESS CHANGED MY LIFE

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I have a thing for their classic billiard and bulldog shapes. One of my billiards (1960) smokes as good as my Northern Briars. I love my patents too. I will second the quality of the stems. Yeah, they are overpriced, but it is a way of obtaining the classic, English style. I love my Comoys just as much, also having classic English style and quality at a more reasonable price. I'm an English pipe man. I don't know much about the newer white spot ones though. You can get good, clean patents and 60's cheaper if you look.

Last edited:

grimpeur

Might Stick Around
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada

I find this reply answers the question so well, might as lock the thread...lol, as if!

Let's not forget that Alfred Dunhill was a salesman and promoter par excellence. He was able to sell the sizzle as well as an admittedly great steak. I recall going into the local (Toronto) Dunhill store long ago, when it was a tobacconist; crossing the threshold, there was a feeling of being someplace special...and it was!

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I find this reply answers the question so well, might as lock the thread...lol, as if!

Let's not forget that Alfred Dunhill was a salesman and promoter par excellence. He was able to sell the sizzle as well as an admittedly great steak. I recall going into the local (Toronto) Dunhill store long ago, when it was a tobacconist; crossing the threshold, there was a feeling of being someplace special...and it was!
What was your shop you worked at called?

Reactions: grimpeur

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Well people do buy them. So to them it's worth the price. But honestly there isn't some magical official reason they're worth more or less then any other pipe. The price makes more sense though the more I see pipes and realize that I can eyeball certain brands without seeing the dots or labeling.
To put it another way is a nice looking tailored suit really worth more then any other item of clothing?

Reactions: TampaPete

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well people do buy them. So to them it's worth the price. But honestly there isn't some magical official reason they're worth more or less then any other pipe. The price makes more sense though the more I see pipes and realize that I can eyeball certain brands without seeing the dots or labeling.
To put it another way is a nice looking tailored suit really worth more then any other item of clothing?
Well, very much so in certain settings.

This thread will go on and on, with the usual suspects adding their pro or con comments, so another day or two, and this one is done.