PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thanks. I found info on Pipedia that said after the factory closed, they were made by Charatans, Oppenheimer and other unknown companies. So I'll add this 'non-Barling Barling' to my collection that also includes a couple of 'Barling non-Barling'. I think I only have two actual "Barling's made by Barling's".

My toes have been dipped and I'm pulling them out of the water.
I supplied that info on Pipedia. The Oppenheimer sourcing was confirmed for me by its former CEO, John Adler, a few months before he passed away. Most of the Charatans are easy to spot since they made their "Barlings" using their own shapes

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I supplied that info on Pipedia. The Oppenheimer sourcing was confirmed for me by its former CEO, John Adler, a few months before he passed away. Most of the Charatans are easy to spot since they made their "Barlings" using their own shapes
These two have the same dimensions as the Charatans shape 502.

Still need to do a little chamber work, but it's basically done. No major problems - stem dents minimal, black on outside of bowl came right off.

drmXb9i.jpeg

SvqR8bv.jpeg

Last edited:

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
That looks great!

Thanks - I have a question for you: The crossed Barling stamp on the stem is visible on the 'before' stem, but largely rubbed off. When I applied some white fingernail polish and then rubbed off the excess, I found that the stamping was actually raised, so I wasn't actually filling in. So I couldn't save it. First time I've ever run across raised stamping on a stem. Haha - not sure that was really a question, but just want to verify that I'm correct about this.

Reactions: grimpeur

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thanks - I have a question for you: The crossed Barling stamp on the stem is visible on the 'before' stem, but largely rubbed off. When I applied some white fingernail polish and then rubbed off the excess, I found that the stamping was actually raised, so I wasn't actually filling in. So I couldn't save it. First time I've ever run across raised stamping on a stem. Haha - not sure that was really a question, but just want to verify that I'm correct about this.
I’ve seen this a few times on buffed stems where the raised edges of the
stamped strike remained a little raised.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You don't see many Sterling, Hallmark GBD 9242's. Someone wanted this one bad

Screenshot_20240508_194848_Facebook.jpg

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
You don't see many Sterling, Hallmark GBD 9242's. Someone wanted this one bad

View attachment 308779

I was looking at that one and thought about bidding, but it certainly wouldn’t have been that much.

PLANofMAN

Lurker
Jan 13, 2024
I picked this up today. Thought we may as well have a go at salvaging if, even if just for display.

Screenshot_2024-05-09-05-20-12-84_0311c9f6806a66343c45622522faa000.jpg
Can that even be made smokable again?

I know one of the Meerschaum pipe sites sells liners (custom sizing) for briar pipes, so that may be an option for you to look into if other options fall through.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Can that even be made smokable again?

I know one of the Meerschaum pipe sites sells liners (custom sizing) for briar pipes, so that may be an option for you to look into if other options fall through.
Which site is that? I'd be interested in having a look. Thanks.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I guess it depends a little on what you mean by smokable. I've got a pipe with a crack in it and it smokes just fine 🙂
It's too bad they didn't show detailed pics of the damaged areas. I have only run into one pipe where I couldn't fix the cracks, but the stummel was in 4-5 pieces and there was a 'key' chunk missing :)

In any case, I would have bought it for that price - not much of a gamble.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
It's too bad they didn't show detailed pics of the damaged areas. I have only run into one pipe where I couldn't fix the cracks, but the stummel was in 4-5 pieces and there was a 'key' chunk missing :)

In any case, I would have bought it for that price - not much of a gamble.
I requested detailed pics of the damage and was happy with what they sent.

Even if this pipe isn’t returned to smoking condition, I’d happily pay $20 again just to have it on the shelf.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Did any of you guys here outbid me? I was quite keen on adding a dugout to the orliks

Someone got a steal. I’m looking at this listing on my phone so I can’t see the hallmarks but assuming the 1920 reading is correct this would be one of the first Dugouts produced. The line was only introduced in October of that year. Despite being offered for decades Dugouts are thin on the ground. I’m lucky to have found one about nine years ago:

1715555676176.jpeg

[photo by Al Jones who was kind enough to clean it up for me; he did a nice write up on the pipe for Steve Laug’s blog: Orlik “Dugout” Restoration - https://rebornpipes.com/2015/03/25/orlik-dugout-restoration/]

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Someone got a steal. I’m looking at this listing on my phone so I can’t see the hallmarks but assuming the 1920 reading is correct this would be one of the first Dugouts produced. The line was only introduced in October of that year. Despite being offered for decades Dugouts are thin on the ground. I’m lucky to have found one about nine years ago:

View attachment 309820

[photo by Al Jones who was kind enough to clean it up for me; he did a nice write up on the pipe for Steve Laug’s blog: Orlik “Dugout” Restoration - https://rebornpipes.com/2015/03/25/orlik-dugout-restoration/]
Yes I’m well aware they are thin on the ground. I’m happy that someone else grabbed it at a good price….now I just need to figure out a way to arm wrestle you out of your bent one 🤔😂

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc

View attachment 309820

It was an honor to work on that one! That blast....!

Reactions: grimpeur and Ahi Ka

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A couple of interesting auctions ended/are ending this evening.

1715556710376.png

Unused Loewe, pretty high price for this marque.

1715556687562.png

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Yes I’m well aware they are thin on the ground. I’m happy that someone else grabbed it at a good price….now I just need to figure out a way to arm wrestle you out of your bent one 🤔😂

I've never been so grateful that almost 15 thousand kilometers separates me from New Zealand.