PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

InWithBothFeet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2024
Richmond, KY
Not the flat ones for the "herb" pipes, but the half spherical ones for tobacco pipes.

They completely and utterly changed the way my pipe smokes. The draw is much much more open to the point that my cadence and how hard I puff doesn't work with them. It's like starting over learning how to smoke. Maybe it's smoking the way it's supposed to if my packing was on point. I'll stick with it for a few weeks and see how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Probably leaves an air gap in the bottom allowing a better draw.
Yes that's all it is, less tobacco harder to over load the bowl, the works. I tried them for a couple days when i started smoking but then as i read threads about drying the tobacco enough and how to load the bowl, i got the knack for how loading and smoking worked best for me and the screens are in a drawer somewhere now. They are great for beginners!

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
And veterans!
And wet smokers!
And poorly drilled pipes!
Alas, up until one of the forums 'respected' members gives the nod, they'll remain an accessory of unimportance and ridicule. FWIW, here in the UK they've been around for over a hundred years!
Do you use them regularly? It does seem like you'd be left with less/no dottle by using one of these.

I'm not the OP, but I think these are the screens...

View attachment 308913
Thanks!

InWithBothFeet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2024
Richmond, KY
Yes, these are like the ones pictured above. I smoked some 1Q last night and once I toned down my draw the tobacco seemed to smoke more evenly, less tunneling.

As a side note, I was told the 1Q smelled like vanilla ice cream or milk.

Reactions: anotherbob

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
I believe the Frank Method of loading the pipe also provides the air gap underneath the tobacco. This method works for me, but I usually won't take the time. Just scoop and stuff with my finger.

Reactions: anotherbob

InWithBothFeet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2024
Richmond, KY
Yea, this provides that air pocket that I can't collapse by packing too hard. The article mentions better flavor and I think that might be on point as after I adapted to it, I got more flavor out of the 1Q than I remember getting before.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Yes, Mr Frank advocates the use of meer chips. He told me it didn’t appear in early videos because he didn’t know they were readily available in other areas. He also rubs a great pipe shop.