What is Your Favorite International Dish?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

18 Fresh Radice Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
3 Fresh Tsuge Ikebana Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
23 Fresh Neerup Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
We have an Argentine restaurant in Melbourne and I always go there (be there next month) and the food is just superb. The Pork Jowls (Mejilla de Cerdo), Lamb Rump (Cordero) are very good but I really like their charcoal roasted cabbage with pickled pear (Repollo)
Do you remember if it is Palermo, San Telmo or Gaucho the name of the resraurant?

I'm curious what an Argentine restaurant outside the country has on the menu.

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
San Telmo in Meyers Place, they have a big open charcoal grill/bbq and the meat is amazing and the chef is pretty famous from what I can gather.
Great menu. It is a sophisticated version of an Argentine grill. Yes it is a true Argentine menu. It looks delicious.
If you like overly sweet, I would recommend the Flan for dessert.

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A single international dish is impossible for me. But one of the most memorable meals I ever had was at the Bali in Scheveningen, then considered the #1 Indonesian Restaurant in Europe.

We had their rijstafel with a few extra dishes that the restaurant always prepared for our host, who was a regular.

There were approximately 48 courses, all small plates, in aparticular order, each designed to contrast with the previous dish while setting up one's palate for the next one.

The leisurely feast went on for over 2 hours as cooks carefully prepared dishes at table side, in addition to what was coming from the central kitchen. To accompany the rijstafel we had tankards of Tuborg beer. It was fabulous!

The only other feast of "international" food that comes close is the traditional Indian wedding of a friend that I attended. It was a wondrous spread of Indian dishes, including a number that I've never seen in an Indian restaurant, and I've been to dozens of them all over the US. They clearly edit down for the American palate.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
A single international dish is impossible for me. But one of the most memorable meals I ever had was at the Bali in Scheveningen, then considered the #1 Indonesian Restaurant in Europe.

We had their rijstafel with a few extra dishes that the restaurant always prepared for our host, who was a regular.

There were approximately 48 courses, all small plates, in aparticular order, each designed to contrast with the previous dish while setting up one's palate for the next one.

The leisurely feast went on for over 2 hours as cooks carefully prepared dishes at table side, in addition to what was coming from the central kitchen. To accompany the rijstafel we had tankards of Tuborg beer. It was fabulous!

The only other feast of "international" food that comes close is the traditional Indian wedding of a friend that I attended. It was a wondrous spread of Indian dishes, including a number that I've never seen in an Indian restaurant, and I've been to dozens of them all over the US. They clearly edit down for the American palate.
While the Indonesian quisine is quite common in the Netherlands they served amazing food, I loved the ambiance too, but I prefer to go "casual". In general, Indonesian toko's serve outstanding quality food and much more affordable.
Bali unfortunately went bankrupt in 2015.
1715804062283.png

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: sablebrush52

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Great menu. It is a sophisticated version of an Argentine grill. Yes it is a true Argentine menu. It looks delicious.
If you like overly sweet, I would recommend the Flan for dessert.
I'll post some pics here when we go and tag you. We generally go with friends and order quite a few sides and share which is nice. Seems like pickled vegetables are popular in Argentine cuisine.

Reactions: Alejo R.