PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jbyrd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 4, 2023
Springfield MO
Look on sites for 1982 Dunhills, SPC, flea bay, mike law, etc., etc,. then find one, verify year by stampings. Purchase.
how do you check the year by the stamping I have just recently decide to try to get a dunhill so I really don't know much about them.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
This is a good place to check periodically.
I bought a pipe from Marty once. He's a funny sonofagun.

I'd probably buy more pipes from him but... seems like every time I check his site, every pipe I'd consider is either sold or reserved. I enjoy his blog entries, but I can't figure any sort of update schedule as to when new inventory is added.

I know I know, it would be easy to email him and ask - and he'd tell me pipes get uploaded as he readies them- but bitching and moaning on a msg board is a time tested mode of therapy.
Love ya Marty.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
A quick way of filtering pipes if you are looking at poor pics on eBay - look out for 5 digit model numbers.

Another thought, don’t Castello use briar from 1982 on some of their line?

Jbyrd

Feb 4, 2023
Springfield MO
A quick way of filtering pipes if you are looking at poor pics on eBay - look out for 5 digit model numbers.

Another thought, don’t Castello use briar from 1982 on some of their line?
Do they really that's very interesting i will haave to look in to this. thank you

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Here's a picture of a 1982 year stamp:

1677774540610.png

I found my 1958 year pipe by searching for "1958 Dunhill pipe" online. It was at an e-tailer. I've long forgotten which one. My particular pipe in fact has year stamps from both 1958 and 1959. This would happen when the pipe left the factory stamped with the year of manufacture, but was sold in a later year. For guarantee purposes it would be re-stamped with the year of sale. Since I was born in December 1958, I considered it especially appropriate.

1677774748270.png

Reactions: OzPiper

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Here's a picture of a 1982 year stamp:

View attachment 206441

I found my 1958 year pipe by searching for "1958 Dunhill pipe" online. It was at an e-tailer. I've long forgotten which one. My particular pipe in fact has year stamps from both 1958 and 1959. This would happen when the pipe left the factory stamped with the year of manufacture, but was sold in a later year. For guarantee purposes it would be re-stamped with the year of sale. Since I was born in December 1958, I considered it especially appropriate.

View attachment 206442
So my birth year is 1983, not a particularly great year for Dunhills in my opinion. I've never (NEVER) run across one that I liked enough to buy.

I did have the sorta second best thing for a while. It was a Quaint, made in 1976 but SOLD in 1983. It was also my FIRST Dunhill - thanks Dave Neeb.

It was kinda ugly (only took 7 years for the factory to unload it on a hapless retailer apparently), had an overbuffed stem, and never smoked well.
Never forget our first though.

1F30EDDD-6043-4BA8-B29C-25D1A783FF84.jpeg

Reactions: Jbyrd

Jbyrd

Feb 4, 2023
Springfield MO
So I found a 1982 Dunhill that I'm thinking about buying. Has anyone had dealings with Paronelli pipes Italy? I messaged them and they responded the pipe is unsmoked and in perfect condition as per the email. I'm just wondering if its a legit site don't want to buy something that isn't what I'm looking for.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

Jbyrd

Feb 4, 2023
Springfield MO
ok so I've looked in to it a little more and I think I've answered my own question they seem pretty legit to me.

Jbyrd

Feb 4, 2023
Springfield MO
So my birth year is 1983, not a particularly great year for Dunhills in my opinion. I've never (NEVER) run across one that I liked enough to buy.

I did have the sorta second best thing for a while. It was a Quaint, made in 1976 but SOLD in 1983. It was also my FIRST Dunhill - thanks Dave Neeb.

It was kinda ugly (only took 7 years for the factory to unload it on a hapless retailer apparently), had an overbuffed stem, and never smoked well.
Never forget our first though.

View attachment 206477
Very interesting shape.