PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
If you mean that all Ashton pipes were single-handedly made by Bill Taylor, I’d guess not. Ashton wasn’t a one-man operation. However, I know that he personally hand-finished every private-label pipe that Ashton made for the McCranie’s shop. So perhaps he performed some level of handwork for every pipe that left the Ashton factory. But that’s just guesswork on my part.

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
If you mean that all Ashton pipes were single-handedly made by Bill Taylor, I’d guess not. Ashton wasn’t a one-man operation. However, I know that he personally hand-finished every private-label pipe that Ashton made for the McCranie’s shop. So perhaps he performed some level of handwork for every pipe that left the Ashton factory. But that’s just guesswork on my part.
I ask because I’ve had trouble with the stems on the JC Ashton’s, I took a risk and got a ‘99 to compare. I don’t have it quite yet thiugh, on layaway 😂

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
There is a Taylor Made Stamp! Not sure what that means 😂
Taylor Made was a stamping he used before Ashton began.

All the Bill Taylor era Ashton's I've smoked have been from the 80s and the stems have been fantastic.
I've only had 2 Craig era pipes and both stems were fine - not phenomenal- but smokable.

Reactions: Ben.R.C

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My experience as well. Bill Taylor stems were usually very good, but sometimes bowl drilling could be wonky. They used to say those pipes were made after a pint-or-two lunch. Taylor Made's were early on and I bet soley made by Bill himself. I suspect the 2007-2008 Taylor-era pipes were largely made by Jimmy and his sons, as Bill would have been too sick to contribute much at that point.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The "Taylor Made" stamp was used by Bill for the pipes he produced while still employed at Dunhill.

Once he was on his own, most of his bowls were cut by a guy named Sid Cooper, who started working for Hardcastle in the 1930's.

Reactions: bluegrassbrian