4 Year Old Newminster 400 - Exceptional!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Ran across a jar of 2/18 Newminster 400 last week and decided to pop it. The almost 4 years have worked well for this blend. I get more citrus sweet and tart from this blend than maple sugar sweetness. The flavors are stronger and more prominent after 4 years with the rough edges smoothed out. Really enjoying this blend, happy I put for our five pounds away. May add a couple more. Kind of reminds me of Wessex Gold Virginia Flake which is another favorite of mine for an earlier in the day smoke.

I kind of screwed up but turns out to be kind of good. When jarring, I just folded the Flake in half and stuffed as much in the jar as I could. They're so tight, all I can do is tear out broken Flake from the top and stuff it in the pipe. Very easy to load and I think breaking the flakes up may release the flavors a bit more. The moisture level is perfect, this lights and burns to a fine ash rather effortlessly.

I see this blend can still be purchased for thirty something dollars per pound. WOW! What a bargain.

image.jpg

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
I just discover Virginias and
Vapors after starting out with aromatics. I ordered some New Minster 400. Orlick and Escudo. I like them all but the Newminster and the Escudo are my favorites. I have not tried them aged but I will be buying more 400 it is all I want right now ?

john19

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2021
Greece
4 years? Very good.

I just started pipe smoking. I'm thinking of taking some tobacco, and aged them for 1.5-2 years. Which one do you recommend me between erinmore flake, davidoff English mixture, davidoff Scottish mixture, davidoff medallion flakes?

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I love this stuff. It wasn’t on my radar as a favourite until I realized I reached for it more than half the time.

Reactions: AlanH