PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
So what's the story on this one.
I've posted this pipe before. I was thinking of selling it but after taking this picture, I thought otherwise. It's such a good looking pipe, I will keep it. It's really a keeper. I thought these pictures came out really well. This pipe is so small and dainty. And it's a nice little shape. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems unusual compared to the Marxman-s people usually post which can be bigger and rougher.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
She is not plodding, unseemly, scarred or marred...She's tan and lovely:View attachment 287509
View attachment 287510
View attachment 287511
View attachment 287512

A non standard shape. I don’t have one and haven’t seen one remotely like it.

That A size stamp is kinda sorta rare, too. Let’s say not common.

IMG_7048.jpeg

Most A size $5 pipes didn’t get an A stamp but a few did.

The $7.50 B size and $10 C size did get size stamps. The $15 “Big Boy” size is determined by being a really big pipe with no size stamp,,,,until I see one with a D.:)

I wonder how many Marx sold of each size?

Congratulations on a beautful pipe.

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
A non standard shape. I don’t have one and haven’t seen one remotely like it.

That A size stamp is kinda sorta rare, too. Let’s say not common.

View attachment 287527

Most A size $5 pipes didn’t get an A stamp but a few did.

The $7.50 B size and $10 C size did get size stamps. The $15 “Big Boy” size is determined by being a really big pipe with no size stamp,,,,until I see one with a D.:)

I wonder how many Marx sold of each size?

Congratulations on a beautful pipe.
It's a "benchmade." I might have gotten it unsmoked since it was quite a bit lighter before. I actually didn't read everything very carefully when I bought it online and expected something bigger. It's tiny.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
It's a "benchmade." I might have gotten it unsmoked since it was quite a bit lighter before. I actually didn't read everything very carefully when I bought it online and expected something bigger. It's tiny.

The standard A bore seems to have been about .775.”

There was no machine fraising on Benchmade or Jumbo pipes to a certain shape. And it seems as a rule they came natural and not stained (unless they were stained.:) )

Marx sold a ton of $5 pipes in a time when the Sears catalog featured a good, imported briar pipe in choice of shapes for 40 cents (usually 50 cents in stores they claimed).

There are letters claiming Marx spent over $200,000 a year (3 million todays dollars) on advertising the brand.

$2,500 would have bought him a Packard convertible.

I sure hope he had two, one for him and another for his sweet wife.:)

• Haha
Reactions: milk