Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

acme

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2011
I was making a second-chamber poker for a guy. Finished the turning part and encountered only a small flaw in the wood. Started grinding away on what can't be turned, and found another flaw. Oh, well. Then I found a couple of woppers and I knew that I was working on my pipe now and not this other guy's pipe anymore.

pokernotnet.jpg

Dispensed with the idea of making a poker, I don't dislike them, I guess, but have never wanted to own one. Since it was kind of a lost cause, I started playing fast and loose with the shape. Found some more flaws in the wood, but insult really isn't that bad after the injury is done.

Chambers pretty big. It smokes nicely. I think that I would make the stem about 3/8 of an inch longer if I made a new one as the end of the shank touches my chin when I let the pipe hang.

anthony

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Those 2-chamber pipes are interesting, but just too odd looking for my taste. That is a nicely done blast, too bad about the pits, but I guess that builds your own rack!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I've heard that those two chamber pipes smoke great, but I have yet to see one I like the shape of,plus they look quite heavy. Nice carvin' though!

acme

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2011
mlyvers - I never fill holes in pipes. If a hole went all the way through, I would toss it, but it is just a "flaw," but not too bad, I will blast. Else, it is my pipe.
Brian64 - Do you mind if I actually use "peanut" as the name of the design? I like it. Pregnant Guppy, Checkmark, Peanut, are the innovative names I have so far.
Ejames - The pipes are no heavier than a regularly shaped pipe. The shank is hollow - maybe 1/8 inch thick wall is the thickest I have made. Some are down to a 1/16th of an inch.
In the past I have put a light coat of shelac on my blasts, but I don't think that I will do that anymore. I kind of like the mate finish better.
anthony

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I like the texture of the blast, looks like the gator skin bands that ship with higher end (as if they have a low end) Breitlings.

Status
Not open for further replies.