PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
Once again, I put my name in the title to warn folks.

I had a pipemaker friend make the stummel for me for this one. It's not just a broken pipe that I had laying in a drawer.

Enamored with Walt's suede blasts, I gave it a go... actually the black and white motif is another tip of the hat to Walt, who is a very nice guy. My initial blast on this just didn't give me the level of "suede" that his have, so I made a very sharp pointed anvil bit for my hammer hand-piece and mechanically sculpted the surface before staining it. I think that I got close, but I in no way would want mine held up to Walt's work and compared. I will graciously bow to Walt's level of skills.
View attachment 119642

So, I started with a pot shaped stummel. I need a few more pot shapes in my collection anyway. The idea for the cap and that jagged edge came to me as my wife and I word played with the pipe, "pot shape" > "pot pipe"> "crack pipe"- - cracked edge, jagged edge.

View attachment 119643

And, to be totally honest, I don't feel like I got really creative with this one. The sterling insert used on the stem is starting to look a little... branded, giving them all a mass produced look, which I need to get away from.

View attachment 119644

I still have one more pot shaped stummel, and now three more billiard shaped, and there are still a few of the French made turn of the century stummels that I had originally picked up from Skip a decade ago. But, I think before I post any more of these, I will try to get more sculptural. So, no worries about me flooding the forum with more mediocrity.

But, I had plans to make two tiny toggle levers (like what are used on Grolsch beer bottles) as decorative little snaps to make it look like they were holding the stem in. But, once I had the fit for the stem into the mortise, I realized that this one fits even better than the last few, which were very good, except this pone, once inserted really has a tight hold. I figured having them on there would give the impression that the stem didn't stay one well. I mean... all of the spigots I have made fit well, it's just that this one really holds, almost hard tp remove. I guess practice makes... better.

View attachment 119647

Sooooo, this will be the last mediocre spigot I post. I'll try to get more sculptural with the design before I post any more. Or, if you guys are bored, I'll just lay off. I may not make any more white stems either. My other is getting a little yellow from use.

I'm not sure what to call it. A Faux Walt pot, spigot pot, spigpot, crack pipe... help me out... have fun with it... what should I call it?
Nothing mediocre about that! That is a beautiful Pipe ??

• Love
Reactions: cosmicfolklore