PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lagavulin92

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2010
Those glasses are Glencairn glasses or copies. Either way, they work very well because they are good at suppressing the "alcohol" note. I'm considering buying a Burgundy wine glass to get an extra kick from the whisky.
@bytor: I don't know how recently they mellowed out. I was just told so by betrayed Laphroaig fans. However, my claim is legitimized by the one dram I was graciously given to compare simultanously with the Laphroaig Cask Strength. It was an old and mature dram which had unbelieveable peat for it's age. Laphroaig is no longer the whisky "you either love or hate".
As for Ardbeg, I'd recommend the Supernova. You'll have an hour for the 100ppm to slowly fade to normal levels, and then you got another Ardbeg. Very interesting!

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
I am very partial to Laphroaig or any of the Islay whiskys.I must admit though I am more of a rum person,Appleton Estate Jamaica rum,goes with most of my baccys.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Macallan for me any day but I have to admit that Laphroaig with Latakia blends sounds perfect; like having steak with steak. Yum, I'm off to the liquor cabinet.

alistairjames

Lurker
Oct 15, 2011
Actually, make that +2 given the two other Ardbeg fans.
@bytor I hear the 17 is amazing but, as with all Ardbegs, its so expensive now! A guy I know got a bottle from the supermarket a few years ago for about £30 and now it goes for about £200 a bottle! Eek...

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
as a Scotsman, I usually drink Laphroaig or Talisker (both very smoky, peaty malts) but Lagavulin is a firm favourite...as with wine, I think pipe tobacco would drown out any subtle delicate flavours, so go with something smoky and robust, and not too sweet

alistairjames

Lurker
Oct 15, 2011
I usually drink Laphroaig or Talisker
Which expression of Talisker do you drink? I bought a bottle of the 10 a couple of weeks ago and wasn't impressed with it (I found it a bit overly sweet and unbalanced).

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Funny, I forgot about this post and haven't been on much in general but I did just pick up a bottle of A'Bunadh. A superb whisky indeed. I have a bottle of Ardbeg 10 year, a Bottle of Bruichladdich 10 year, a bottle of Bowmore 12 year and a bottle of Laphroaig 10 year presently on the go and I felt the need for the creamy stewed fruit, custard, caramel, orange goodness wrapped in a hot hot hot dose of alcohol that is A'Bunadh.

chops

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
A'Bunadh has changed the way I view scotch. I was never a big fan of the heavy smokey/peaty flavors that I came across and then one day I tried Aberlour. I love the caramel and other complexities in it. Like many have said- to each His own. I have only paired scotch with cigars so I'd be curious to discover which tobacco goes with A'Bunadh.

alistairjames

Lurker
Oct 15, 2011
A'bunadh is one of my go-to whiskys. Its so cheap for a cask strength (probably because Aberlour pay some of the duty on it, bless them), but its probably important to point out that the flavour profile can change so much from batch to batch.
Glenfarclas 15 might make a good alternative if you're after something sherried with a smokey note, although I did find the last bottle I had somewhat disappointing.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Drinking ANY of these fine scotches while smoking something called "Christmas Cookie" is just WRONG. Why not just pour some Splenda into it?!

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
@antipodesman: Ralfy is one of the most entertaining and well presented whisky reviewers out there. And he is quite charismatic...I can sit and watch Ralfy reviews for hours and never get sick of it.

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
There are of course many great whisky from Scotland and Lagavulin is in the top category.But for a tobacco blend i prefer Laphroaig less expensive and much more filled with smoke.33%oriental,33%virginia boxed with a large aumount of Laphroaig for 2 months then i open the box and i add 33% latakia .Here is one of my fav mixture

Maurizio

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
For the very best whisky reviews check out Ralfy on youtube. He has over 200 reviews or vlogs to date and he has a charismatic persona.
Thanks for that info, I'm looking forward to seeing how Ralfy does his evaluations. Scotch like tobacco is such a personal choice. As much as I enjoy Lagavulin, my preference is for A'Bunadh. Also like alistarjames stated, it does vary from batch to batch which makes it a very interesting drink. Springbank and Bowmore Darkest are other favorites that I enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.