PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I want to buy some rotary bits that can make a nice deep chunky rustication but no clue which ones to buy. What I have now are what came with my rotary, I believe diamond. I'm worried if I press too hard on those they'll snap. Maybe I'm wrong and I can use what I already have. Some advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: AroEnglish

Briarcutter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
You could use a carbide burr, your diamond burr is too fine a grit to do deep cutting. Briar is tough stuff. Easy enough to find even on Amazon. Just do a search for carbide burr. Get the largest shank diameter your hand piece will accept. A ball shape will work and maybe start with 1/4 diameter. However, you'll need more than the burr for a good rustication. I like to start my rustications with carving chisels or gouges but keeping them sharp is a hobby in itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coreios

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
You could use a carbide burr, your diamond burr is too fine a grit to do deep cutting. Briar is tough stuff. Easy enough to find even on Amazon. Just do a search for carbide burr. Get the largest shank diameter your hand piece will accept. A ball shape will work and maybe start with 1/4 diameter. However, you'll need more than the burr for a good rustication. I like to start my rustications with carving chisels or gouges but keeping them sharp is a hobby in itself.
Heading to Amazon now. Thank you kindly.

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
I have seen a group of nails tightly bound by a hose clamp used successfully for rustication - briar is tough stuff... I've also seen a Philips screwdriver with the tip flattened slightly with good results.

Briarcutter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
Great! Carbide is the only n way to go and you may want to use a cylindrical shape with sharp a corner. They give a nice effect.

Briarcutter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
I'll play with that. How are you using the chisels? Do you draw lines with them or turn it? If you have a picture example of some of the ways you've did some I'd love to see.
I don't turn any of my pipes. I just use the chisels and gouges instead of the burrs. Makes a nice gouge channel. Gouges come in what's called "sweeps". A chisel is flat and gouges have a radius or the sweep. Pfile is a Swiss brand and one of the best. They also make high quality carving tools in England, Henry Taylor and Ashley Isles come to mind. If you're buying one you have to look for the width and sweep (radius) you desire. You have to be very careful when using gouges as the briar chips very easily, the top edge of the bowl and nomenclature pannel, end of shank are very dangerous areas for gouges especially if you're going for a smooth top. But you'll find that out if you use one:) Gouges need to be razor sharp! You really need to be careful with them especially on a shape like a pipe and it being such hard and brittle wood. You have to always be aware of where your Other hand is when the tool slips, which it will. Best to have a first aid kit or at least paper towls and masking tape handy. Burrs are safer but you get a really nice effect with gouges that a burr cannot duplicate.

Last edited:

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I don't turn any of my pipes. I just use the chisels and gouges instead of the burrs. Makes a nice gouge channel. Gouges come in what's called "sweeps". A chisel is flat and gouges have a radius or the sweep. Pfile is a Swiss brand and one of the best. They also make high quality carving tools in England, Henry Taylor and Ashley Isles come to mind. If you're buying one you have to look for the width and sweep (radius) you desire. You have to be very careful when using gouges as the briar chips very easily, the top edge of the bowl and nomenclature pannel, end of shank are very dangerious areas for gouges especially if you're going for a smooth top. But you'll find that out if you use one:)
I think for now I'll just stick to the Carbide bits and keep things simple. Thanks for the information was a lot of help.

Reactions: AroEnglish