PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BigEddiePiper

Lurker
Apr 21, 2024
Hi all, long time listener, first time caller...

I am about to embark on a work trip to Africa, specifically The Gambia for two weeks. Planning to take a pipe or two and one or two blends.

What do people take with them when they go on such trips and does any particular tobacco do well at rejecting mosquitoes? Just incase the DEET does not do the job. Alternatively, what would you take with you?

Personal preferences; Peterson EMP, Royal Yacht, Squadron Leader and geting into the Solani Flakes. Perhaps wrongly, I assume English blends will be more offensive to the Mozzies than aromatics.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Make sure you get all your shots, you might need yellow fever vaccine, the earlier the better. Check CDC website for recommendations, maybe a malaria prophylactic also.
Check on customs where you're going to see how much you can bring, and what duties are. Make sure to bring enough for the whole trip, don't count on buying any there. Have fun!

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
Not sure about mosquito repellant efficacy but I find EMP and Squadron Leader to be enjoyable blends any time of the day so those would be my choice.

Non-Mentholated Black Man

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
I am not aware of any reason to believe tobacco smoke to be efficacious as a mosquito repellent.
That said, deer-tongue is often said to be an effective bug (mosquito, housefly, tick, et cetera) repellent
and several tobacco blends do contain that particular ingredient (C&D Crooner/New Market).

Again, I do not believe tobacco smoke to repel mosquitoes.

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
Take some Cigars as well !
I spent plenty of time on the Mosquito Coast of Central America
And both myself and the locals break out the Cigars when the Sun goes down. Take all your shots and not just the mandatory but the recommended as well. Enjoy your trip!

BayouGhost

Lurker
Apr 10, 2024
PA, USA
I have switched over to Picardin from DEET mostly because it won’t dissolve nylon or plastic and seems to work slightly better against mosquitos whereas DEET seems to be better for ticks. I highly recommend buying 1 or 2 $4 head nets as well.