PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Great find! he's a real interesting guy, met him once at the NYC Pipe show. Is his cruise boat still active? He used to be an active participant in the PipeSmokersForumUK many years ago.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Great find! he's a real interesting guy, met him once at the NYC Pipe show. Is his cruise boat still active? He used to be an active participant in the PipeSmokersForumUK many years ago.
I am not sure if his cruise boat is still active. I know he stopped smoking a pipe, and subsequently stopped making pipes, due to a fairly significant health event. I am not sure if that impacted his cruise operation or not.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Richard was one of those guys who came in hard and fast, and dropped out the same way.
It was the heyday of SF and NAR, good times for the high rollers.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Neill used to have a great blog entry on his "Sea Creatures" pipe creations, now lost to the internets. (I'm not sure the Wayback machine can retrieve them?)

Reactions: jpberg

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
WOW, that’s awesome, the first pipe! ❤️

You’d think a carver would hang onto their first.

Big Congrats man! ???? Wow Wow Wow! ?

P.S. Now where can we find the second one? LOL ?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
WOW, that’s awesome, the first pipe! ❤️

You’d think a carver would hang onto their first.

Big Congrats man! ???? Wow Wow Wow! ?

P.S. Now where can we find the second one? LOL ?
He did until he quit smoking for health reasons. Sold it in Chicago after that and it made its way here somehow.

• Love
Reactions: PipeIT

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What a catch, and getting the story on the pipe even more so. So many of my pipes have stories, but maybe none has an origin story quite as specific as yours. If only we could get the back story on all our pipes, what an anthology of tales that would be. Instead, it is all we can do to identify the date of manufacture. I bought a pipe from the award-winning N.C. pipe carver Bob Hayes in what turned out to be the last year of his life, and he made me a jaw-dropping offer the last hour of a pipe show. That kind of haunts me.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
. If only we could get the back story on all our pipes, what an anthology of tales that would be.
I’ve had this thought many times. What a story they could tell. Intermittent snapshots of human life around the world. Bowls after momentus events, births, graduations, deaths. They could tell the story of every set of hands they have passed through, whether its for three weeks or the three decades. What a beautiful set of vignettes each pipe owns. Most of them forever shrouded in mystery.

But every once in a while a lucky piper like myself gets a small glimpse such as this. And even that is enough to brighten a day.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
What are SF and NAR?
Smokers Forum was a pretty popular site. Richard was a member. Neil Archer Roan was a member there, as had his own blog - “ A Passion for Pipes”.
It was arguably the preeminent forum while it was going, all the big dogs had a presence there.

Reactions: alaskanpiper
Status
Not open for further replies.