PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I succumbed once again. This makes my fifth Ropp - two Vintage, two Vintage Superior, and one Etudiant.

002-598-17147.5745.jpg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yessss!!! Im working on getting my 4th Ropp soon! Hahahaha in the last 2 weeks I got 2 etudiants, 1 vintage, and I'll be grabbing a stout in a couple days lol.

Seriously fantastic smokers. And they are all just my size!

How are the button/slot/draft hole on your vintages? I can't be the only one here😂😂😂

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
The construction is top notch on all of them. I tend to like traditional shapes in my pipes - billiards and Liverpools are my favorites - and I don't want big pipes. Ropps tend to fit all of those criteria.
That's exactly it! I think I just found my brand. And to think I've had Ropps in my carts going on for years now and never pulled the trigger till now!

Reactions: SBC

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I keep looking at the Algerian. It’s the most expensive one so I never get it. How are the horn stems? Do they last? Do you need to be careful?

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
I keep looking at the Algerian. It’s the most expensive one so I never get it. How are the horn stems? Do they last? Do you need to be careful?
How hard to you clench?
How sharp are your teeth?
I’m a clencher with sharp teeth that I can feel slightly dig into the horn when I clench. I’ve made marks in it for sure. It’s way, way, softer than acrylic or vulcanite. We’ll see how long it lasts.
I have a Vintage 420 Bulldog that I love.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin

I absolutely love my Vintage. As Auxsender mentioned, the horn is softer than vulcanite; but, that's no problem for me as I don't bite down when clenching. If you already destroy vulcanite, then horn is not for you. If you don't leave dentation in vulcanite, then you're probably fine.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I absolutely love my Vintage. As Auxsender mentioned, the horn is softer than vulcanite; but, that's no problem for me as I don't bite down when clenching. If you already destroy vulcanite, then horn is not for you. If you don't leave dentation in vulcanite, then you're probably fine.
I'm learning this too. Good thing the vintages are so small and light!

Reactions: judcole and SBC

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Looking at the Algerians, and reading the description carefully, it appears that the Algerian has a vulcanite stem, not horn. The Algerian Superior and Vintage Superior are priced the same; VS has horn stems, AS does not.
Only the Vintage line has horn stems; other Ropps have vulcanite.

Reactions: MattRVA

Daddypants

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2023
Central Texas
I have two Ropps with horn stems. One is a Stout Billiard and I absolutely LOVE it. The horn stem feels perfect in the mouth, especially since I clench a lot. I only wish it was a different color than white. I just received a Pot with a horn stem and that stem is much smaller and I like it a lot less. It’s just too tiny. It feels smaller than a pencil. I think I will get another Stout Billiard with a horn stem and hopefully it will be like my first one.

Reactions: judcole