PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BPatrick

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2024
Southwest Lower Michigan
Greetings on a beautiful Sunday afternoon. I'm a fan of Cornell and Diehl and was looking at Tuggle Hall. I'm a fan of Petersons My Mixture 965 and was wondering if this really is similar to that mixture. I like Petersons but I'm trying to buy bulk blends to keep cost per oz lower. Thanks, in advance,
BPatrick

Reactions: BrightDarkEyes

Douglas

Lurker
Apr 1, 2023
I’ve never had Tuggle Hall but like you I love buying bulk to save money. Also like you, I love 965. If you try Tuggle Hall let us know what you think. My all time favorite blend, bulk or tin, is Arango Balkan Supreme. Similar make up to 965 but at bulk pricing. I have several different blends on hand but Balkan Supreme is the only one I ‘bulk up’ on. Also, I mix little perique with it for when the urge for 965’s big brother Nightcap comes calling.

BPatrick

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2024
Southwest Lower Michigan
I’ve never had Tuggle Hall but like you I love buying bulk to save money. Also like you, I love 965. If you try Tuggle Hall let us know what you think. My all time favorite blend, bulk or tin, is Arango Balkan Supreme. Similar make up to 965 but at bulk pricing. I have several different blends on hand but Balkan Supreme is the only one I ‘bulk up’ on. Also, I mix little perique with it for when the urge for 965’s big brother Nightcap comes calling.
That's a great idea, adding a little more perique. On Cornell and Diehls site they usually describe each blend with what's in it but this blend literally says reminiscent of Mixture 965. So it caught my attention immediately. I'll have to try Arango Balkan Supreme. I'll need to source some perique to add to blends. I do like it but a little goes a long way with me. I still buy some tins but really try not to purchase tobacco over 5 dollars.

Douglas

Lurker
Apr 1, 2023
That's a great idea, adding a little more perique. On Cornell and Diehls site they usually describe each blend with what's in it but this blend literally says reminiscent of Mixture 965. So it caught my attention immediately. I'll have to try Arango Balkan Supreme. I'll need to source some perique to add to blends. I do like it but a little goes a long way with me. I still buy some tins but really try not to purchase tobacco over 5 dollars.
I am by no means a Perique expert but so far have been using Sutliff’s TS-20 Perique when adding to other blends. Not bad but I need more experience before passing judgment on it. When that is gone I may try another version.

Reactions: BPatrick

BPatrick

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2024
Southwest Lower Michigan
I am by no means a Perique expert but so far have been using Sutliff’s TS-20 Perique when adding to other blends. Not bad but I need more experience before passing judgment on it. When that is gone I may try another version.
I like the idea of adding a little more for a night cap taste. Not sure if there are things to add than just perique percentage.

Reactions: Douglas

Douglas

Lurker
Apr 1, 2023
You’re right. So far I’ve enjoyed the results. It’s not a Nightcap clone, probably never will be, but it’s in the neighborhood and the fun of doing it and the savings is where the reward is.

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
I’ve never had 965. I still do have about 6 oz of Tuggle Hall and it is very good. I doubt you would need to add more perique to it. The blend is fairly strong as it is.

It wouldn’t hurt to order it. Even if it isn’t exactly what you’re looking for, you would have another good blend to enjoy.

May 15, 2021
Ohio
I like Tuggle Hall a lot. I've never had 965. I've only really tried about 5 english blends so far. I also really like Arango Balkan Supreme, which is smooth and creamy, the opposite of Tuggle Hall.