PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

KSmith1967

Lurker
Dec 12, 2023
New Jersey
Happy New Year to everyone! I am back to consult your opinions and expertise (very much appreciated). After learning the proper etiquette for forums I figured I'd give this another try. I have researched this pipe extensively and cannot find anything close. The only marking on this pipe is a triangle cut out (image below). Does anyone have any idea what this might be? Thanks in advance. -Kara

Attachments

• IMG_1767 copy.jpg
    IMG_1767 copy.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123
It really looks like it was carved out of one of those make-your-own-pipe kits, where you buy a predrilled block that comes with a stem like that. Look at the texture in the bowl, it looks like it was made with a rasp.
If so, it's very cool that you got a pipe made by someone like that.
I really don't think that this is a factory made pipe.

Reactions: El Capitán
It was at one time a Dr Grabow/Sparta Ind. freehand, it's been heavily sanded down.View attachment 276935
Good call, but I think that the angle of the bowl to the stem makes it not look very much like a "designed" pipe. But, maybe there was a lot of extra wood below the chamber that was removed to make the geometry of the pipe look "off" for lack of a more courteous word.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Good call, but I think that the angle of the bowl to the stem makes it not look very much like a "designed" pipe. But, maybe there was a lot of extra wood below the chamber that was removed to make the geometry of the pipe look "off" for lack of a more courteous word.
Yeah agreed, but that triangle carved on the back was go to spot carving at Sparta for a few years. It certainly could have been DIY pipe kit, but given that carving I suspect it was more likely a reshaped pipe. There was also some leeway for Sparta carvers to do what they wanted with pipes that were unusable, they often got reshaped to something that was smokeable and taken home.