PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I’m on holiday and my bag didn’t make it into the car before we set off. No clothes, no toiletries but, worst of all, the pipes and baccys that I had packed didn’t make it either!

No big deal; I found a B&M and used this set back as the perfect time to by some 3P’s and a cheap pipe.

5B009737-AAAA-46FB-8701-7A3088278E2E.jpeg
It’s only a cheap pear wood pipe ,to get me through the week, but it hasn’t got a lip on the end of the stem so it’s impossible to clench.

Any suggestions on how to rectify this situation?

I wasn’t fully aware of how much I clench when smoking, until I can’t clench at all.

Please be aware that I am in a caravan, in the middle of nowhere, with no tools and a fair drive to any shops.

Thankfully I bought a little MM cob as well; maybe I leave the pear wood pipe until I’m back in civilisation?

Reactions: romaso and jpmcwjr

Pipingntrucking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2022
Zebulon-JoCo NC
No tools in the middle of nowhere is a problem. If you don't care about the stem, perhaps, you can use a stone and grind away some of the stem and create a lip?
I was going to suggest something similar. Or go through the wifes make up luggage and see if there is an nail file or emery board in there that can be used to shape one. Time to think creatively. Anything that has an abrasive texture can work. Or, sharp enough to cut and shave to whittle down.
Add that to your next shopping list. Pocket knife. Doesn't have to be expensive. Just sharp, ready, and on your person for such times.

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
No tools in the middle of nowhere is a problem. If you don't care about the stem, perhaps, you can use a stone and grind away some of the stem and create a lip?
I was looking for a suitable bit of something on the way to and from the beach today, I was hoping to find some flint, or similar, but all I could find were pebbles too rounded for the job and no way to split them to get a sharper edge.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I was going to suggest something similar. Or go through the wifes make up luggage and see if there is an nail file or emery board in there that can be used to shape one. Time to think creatively. Anything that has an abrasive texture can work. Or, sharp enough to cut and shave to whittle down.
Add that to your next shopping list. Pocket knife. Doesn't have to be expensive. Just sharp, ready, and on your person for such times.
Ah-haaaaaa!
I’ve got my trusty plug knife! Time to get whittlin’!

BC79643C-A9EE-4DD4-908C-B280930A1DAD.jpeg

doug535

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2019
Independence, MO.
I have got some softee bits at home but they’re at home and I’m not. Ideally I need something asap. I was toying with using a plaster/band aid in the interim because we’ve got a first aid kit. Would that work for a week?
Electrical tape should be available almost anywhere, gas stations etc... wrap it so that the tape ens about how deep you want the button to be and trim the excess off. May have a slight off taste at first.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I’m on holiday and my bag didn’t make it into the car before we set off. No clothes, no toiletries but, worst of all, the pipes and baccys that I had packed didn’t make it either!

No big deal; I found a B&M and used this set back as the perfect time to by some 3P’s and a cheap pipe.

View attachment 160490
It’s only a cheap pear wood pipe ,to get me through the week, but it hasn’t got a lip on the end of the stem so it’s impossible to clench.

Any suggestions on how to rectify this situation?

I wasn’t fully aware of how much I clench when smoking, until I can’t clench at all.

Please be aware that I am in a caravan, in the middle of nowhere, with no tools and a fair drive to any shops.

Thankfully I bought a little MM cob as well; maybe I leave the pear wood pipe until I’m back in civilisation?
Clenching is meant to enable multitasking. You’re on holiday. Sit down and smoke and just relax.

Reactions: romaso

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Clenching is meant to enable multitasking. You’re on holiday. Sit down and smoke and just relax.
That is actually a good idea but still, I’ve become conditioned to be able to read or do something else with my hands while smoking and this pipe is infuriating!
Full disclosure - I didn’t actually know that anyone made pipes without the clench groove. Is that the correct nomenclature for them? Clench groove?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Reading this has made me appreciate why I'm a "townie" ?

I have only been camping once - when I was twelve, at a scouts weekend jamboree.
My mother turned up at the campsite on the first afternoon to inspect it. She had my amah (maid) in tow and brought along my pillow, and a tin of Milo (for my night time milk drink)
Then proceeded to take over the cooking of the evening meal for my troop.
Well she supervised while my amah did the work.

I was so traumatised by this experience, I tended my resignation to the Scoutmaster first thing Monday morning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.