PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Further developments - don’t smoke 3P’s if the wind is up and you only have two t shirts to your name.

FFS!! ??‍♂️
You may have to weave the inner bark of the cedar tree to make new clothing. Or sew a number of squirrel pelts together with a bone needle. You could even sew a pocket for your pipe on your loincloth!
I'd bet you could get pretty accurate at beaning squirrels by throwing your pearwood pipe, looks pretty sturdy!

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Nice job! If you try the heat-the-stem idea, make sure you don't compress/block the airway.
How about a photo of your view? It's nice to get out!
@romaso
Not a view exactly but interesting none the less…

1BDEBEEB-56F4-42CA-ACFE-C2E0B5445A71.jpeg

I think it’s a lump of concrete, designed to stop the gentlemen of a certain Central European from getting onto the beach without their passports. ?

It was a little wonky but it would have given a great field of fire over the beach.

It’s funny what you find sometimes

Reactions: canucklehead

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
@romaso
Not a view exactly but interesting none the less…

View attachment 162273

I think it’s a lump of concrete, designed to stop the gentlemen of a certain Central European from getting onto the beach without their passports. ?

It was a little wonky but it would have given a great field of fire over the beach.

It’s funny what you find sometimes
Not many windows in that loo! :) May even be some underground bunkers nearby, they still find them. Be careful of unexploaded ordinance! Still alot of that around I hear (depending where you are), even just from training exercises.
Enjoy your holiday!

Reactions: Franco Pipenbeans

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Somehow I don't believe that's the original location. How it got moved interests me.
Major storm?
I think it was in it’s original position and too heavy to move and too dense to blow up - it was solid, reinforced concrete perhaps a few feet thick.

There was an identical one,50 yards away, on either side of the only way off the beach for a few miles.
I don’t think they would have been able to do anything other than slow someone down but it might have bought enough time to get reinforcements into the line?

It was just along the coast from Scarborough, which was shelled by the German Navy during the First War; maybe Horse Guards thought they might do something similar for the rematch and decided to put some, fairly obvious, bunkers down?

Compared to what the German’s had built in Normandy, these bunkers looked quite comical really.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and romaso

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I think it was in it’s original position and too heavy to move and too dense to blow up - it was solid, reinforced concrete perhaps a few feet thick.

There was an identical one,50 yards away, on either side of the only way off the beach for a few miles.
I don’t think they would have been able to do anything other than slow someone down but it might have bought enough time to get reinforcements into the line?

It was just along the coast from Scarborough, which was shelled by the German Navy during the First War; maybe Horse Guards thought they might do something similar for the rematch and decided to put some, fairly obvious, bunkers down?

Compared to what the German’s had built in Normandy, these bunkers looked quite comical really.
They may have been lookout spots for the old guard, who had a radio in case they saw anything. Ever watch 'Dad's Army'?

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
They may have been lookout spots for the old guard, who had a radio in case they saw anything. Ever watch 'Dad's Army'?
*Home Guard. Yes, I’ve watched Dad’s Army; it was virtually impossible to avoid it when I was growing up; my Gran loved it.

A look out post would seem a feasible idea but not sure why the lookout point wouldn’t have been higher, on or in the sand dunes behind though? The 30 or 40 feet height difference from beach to dunes would have given an extra view out to sea?

Who knows?

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Churchill's cabinet approved hundreds of secret underground bunkers where guerrilla troops trained... and they are still hidden across the UK countryside
WWII underground bunkers where British troops trained | Daily Mail Online

Tree felling work uncovers WW2 underground bunker near Moffat in 2020
Tree felling work uncovers WW2 underground bunker near Moffat - BBC News
I remember reading a book about the intended plan, should Operation Sealion have been a success.
Hidden caches of machine guns and Mills bombs dotted around the place, hidden bunkers and tunnels that would have allowed people to move around undetected.
How much of this was actually put into action, before it became apparent that energies and efforts moved from the defensive to the offensive, is anyones guess?

If this is something that interests you @romaso there is an interesting book called Churchill’s Wizards that talks through the ideas for inflatable tanks and planes of the phoney war, using light and mirrors to “move” rivers and confuse nighttime bomber navigation, painting ships to make them camouflaged, using petrol jets to stop an amphibious assault of the south coast etc. it’s a good read.

35CF9D9B-7E54-42D8-BD3E-7070EC1FEAAF.jpeg

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Any suggestions on how to rectify this situation?
Where are you on vacation ? How far are you away from home ? Presumably within driving distance ? I would have gone home for my bag and started over, after all, you are on vacation. You already have a small cob with you ... use that. Go shopping for a better pipe than the pearwood. Have a friend or family member drop-ship your bag to you or meet you half way. Check out antiques shops and find a pipe to clean up for the week. Smoke cigars for the week. Go to Smokingpipes.eu and order a new pipe and tobacco and have it shipped to where your at on vacation. All of these things could possibly have been done.

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Any suggestions on how to rectify this situation?
Where are you on vacation ? How far are you away from home ? Presumably within driving distance ? I would have gone home for my bag and started over, after all, you are on vacation. You already have a small cob with you ... use that. Go shopping for a better pipe than the pearwood. Have a friend or family member drop-ship your bag to you or meet you half way. Check out antiques shops and find a pipe to clean up for the week. Smoke cigars for the week. Go to Smokingpipes.eu and order a new pipe and tobacco and have it shipped to where your at on vacation. All of these things could possibly have been done.
Wonderful suggestions @Hillcrest, but I think that you might have come to this party a little late; I have been home for the last four days. ?

• Haha
Reactions: Humblepipe
Status
Not open for further replies.