Anybody Smoke a Pipe while Playing Golf?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I play a lot of golf and usually smoke 3 Cigars per round. Been wondering how a pipe might work. I'd probably use cobs as it is inevitable I'd lose and break some. I'm a bit concerned about wind, lighting and keeping the pipe lit and hot embers burning holes in my clothes.

Anybody here have any experience in these conditions? And any tips?

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
I play a lot of golf and usually smoke 3 Cigars per round. Been wondering how a pipe might work. I'd probably use cobs as it is inevitable I'd lose and break some. I'm a bit concerned about wind, lighting and keeping the pipe lit and hot embers burning holes in my clothes.

Cigars for golf. Too many damn accessories already in the cart, but, I suppose a tee would work great as a tamper. Wind caps are good. Cheap and easy to lose. I use when mowing the lawn. Won’t be playing golf for some time, but cannot imagine taking a pipe along for the ride.

AlanH

Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
I was playing a good bit of golf last spring. I took a pipe once it worked fine. I would light i between holes and while others where teeing off. Maybe not the best if it was real windy.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I checked out the MM site, saw they have wind caps I'm going to order a few and give it a try.

Is partially economics. 3 $6 Cigars per round x 16 rounds per month = $288 per month . I figure pipe tobacco would cost me $30. I also enjoy a pipe more than cigars.

I'm going to give it a try, cheap enough experiment

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
All the time, including 4 bowls over 18 holes this morning. Never use a wind cap, do I.
I keep 6-10 pipes and a few ounces of tobacco in my golf bag.

I clench when I putt, chip or pitch, but never on a full swing. Easy.
Honestly - that’s impressive. No way for me.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
I checked out the MM site, saw they have wind caps I'm going to order a few and give it a try.

Is partially economics. 3 $6 Cigars per round x 16 rounds per month = $288 per month . I figure pipe tobacco would cost me $30. I also enjoy a pipe more than cigars.

I'm going to give it a try, cheap enough experiment
Alternatively, you could roll up some pipe tobacco in a papers… ?‍♂️

Financially - makes perfect sense. I just cannot get through that many cigars in a round - I smoke too slow and play too fast.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Alternatively, you could roll up some pipe tobacco in a papers… ?‍♂️

Financially - makes perfect sense. I just cannot get through that many cigars in a round - I smoke too slow and play too fast.
Most rounds take 4 hours and is not something I control. If I had 3 clones and we played on a completely open course, it would take 2 1/2 hours. There is a group of 16 to 32 golfers I play with at the Club, $10 competitive game (not that competitive for $10 but keeps it interesting). We play everything down and putt out every single putt, so that slows things down a bit. All the more reason for me to enjoy a smoke in between shots.

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
Most rounds take 4 hours and is not something I control. If I had 3 clones and we played on a completely open course, it would take 2 1/2 hours. There is a group of 16 to 32 golfers I play with at the Club, $10 competitive game (not that competitive for $10 but keeps it interesting). We play everything down and putt out every single putt, so that slows things down a bit. All the more reason for me to enjoy a smoke in between shots.
I get that for sure. Haha, sometimes I wouldn’t mind slowing down - but groups I play with are I intentional about times we play to avoid any and all course traffic. Charity and other outings I’m always in it for a 4-6 hour round.

Good luck with the pipe on the course - I hope it works out well for you.

JSPiper71

Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
No but I do when I fish.
I am very much looking forward to next spring to try out my new hobby while fishing. I historically smoked a cigar with a coffee while trolling for trout in the early morning but now that I’ve found pipes, I can’t wait to try It out. Already envisioning rigging up a pipe stand of some kind for a safe place to put it down should I catch a fish. Thinking I may add a cob or two to my collection for this purpose. Still not teeth clenching any of my pipes as I don’t want to ruin them.

JSPiper71

Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
I am very much looking forward to next spring to try out my new hobby while fishing. I historically smoked a cigar with a coffee while trolling for trout in the early morning but now that I’ve found pipes, I can’t wait to try It out. Already envisioning rigging up a pipe stand of some kind for a safe place to put it down should I catch a fish. Thinking I may add a cob or two to my collection for this purpose. Still not teeth clenching any of my pipes as I don’t want to ruin them.
As for golf, I too smoke cigars but will definitely be giving a pipe a try next summer.

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia

I smoke a pipe when playing golf on occasion, but mostly cigars.