Anyone Bought Pipes Due to Lower Euro Exchange Rates?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Euro has lost ground relative to the USD in recent months. Has anyone enjoyed the benefits in terms of buying pipes at the improved exchange rate with their USD's? I haven't noticed any appreciable lowering of prices from U.S. retailers, so I assume they are pocketing the benefit in the exchange rate. I don't begrudge them that; its a tough business. If the exchange rate remains favorable to the dollar, then I'd expect to see some surprisingly good deals. Has anyone cashed in, as it were?

lordnantwich

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2022
Rhode Island, USA
nantwichs.etsy.com
The Euro has lost ground relative to the USD in recent months. Has anyone enjoyed the benefits in terms of buying pipes at the improved exchange rate with their USD's? I haven't noticed any appreciable lowering of prices from U.S. retailers, so I assume they are pocketing the benefit in the exchange rate. I don't begrudge them that; its a tough business. If the exchange rate remains favorable to the dollar, then I'd expect to see some surprisingly good deals. Has anyone cashed in, as it were?
Was thinking the exact same thing yesterday there must be some more attractive deals. If you have a credit card with no fees for foreign transactions it can work out well. I recently bought a pipe from Danish Pipe Shop and paid in DKK but EUR is also an option.

Reactions: dunnyboy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've had the experience of looking at the board at a currency exchange in the airport or bank to see how the dollar was doing against the Euro or other currency. Since there is a fee to change the currency, it is tempting to spend at least some of it on customs free items at the airport, if there's something you want and don't mind hauling home.

Of course, this strength in the dollar isn't good for companies exporting goods since it raises their prices outside the U.S.

Reactions: dunnyboy

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I bought three pipes priced in Euros recently. Certainly better pricing than in the past. Stateside resellers might have purchased their current inventory at an earlier exchange rate so I'm not surprised their prices are unchanged.

Reactions: FLDRD

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't done a real comparison, but it seems to me that our sponsor Al Pascia's prices reflect at least some benefit to U.S. buyers in the dollar strengthening against the Euro. I think it's worth a look.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I bought two Castellos from site sponsor, Tabaccheria Corti, for 737 Euros total. One was an Old Antiquari KKKK for 278 Euros and the other was a triple-K Collection Occhio Di Pernice for 459 Euros. Based on US retail prices I feel like I got a steal on both of them . . . but Tabaccheria Corti ALWAYS has great prices on their Castellos so I didn't even think about the conversion rate until just now.

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Currency fluctuations, shipping cost (transit time, likelihood of getting lost or confiscated, the possibility of my getting soaked by import duties, and at least with some new goods whether prices are adjusted by region by the manufacturer) have long figured in my calculus.

But even if I'm more in the just looking category, rather avidly on the hunt, I can't say I'm seeing bargains I know I'll regret passing up.

For instance, as nice as the straight-grain, five-starred, unsmoked, circa-2000, Dunhill billiard currently on offer by the Danish Pipe Shop might be, "add to basket" isn't my first thought at $6426.

goldenmole

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2019
Copenhagen DK
Indeed, the USD and EUR are almost 1:1 right now. So good time to travel to Europe for you guys, not so good for my recent US trip! For myself: after some unpleasant experiences with having to pay customs duties for items ordered from the US I am not anymore considering (irrespective of price) ordering from outside the EU.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and marconi

UechiBrett

Lurker
Jun 7, 2022
I bought two Castellos from site sponsor, Tabaccheria Corti, for 737 Euros total. One was an Old Antiquari KKKK for 278 Euros and the other was a triple-K Collection Occhio Di Pernice for 459 Euros. Based on US retail prices I feel like I got a steal on both of them . . . but Tabaccheria Corti ALWAYS has great prices on their Castellos so I didn't even think about the conversion rate until just now.
I've been thinking about buying a Castello from them for a while now, curious how customs was and if you were hit with any extra expenses? Not sure if there really is something to worry about or not?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I've been thinking about buying a Castello from them for a while now, curious how customs was and if you were hit with any extra expenses? Not sure if there really is something to worry about or not
I've had zero issues ordering from them. I've placed an order from Tabaccheria Corti on the same day that I placed an order from smokingpipes and the order from Italy arrived three or more days before the one stateside. T.C. does a great job with their shipping, packaging, and customer service. They expertly pack your pipes, frequently throw in a nice "thank you" like some Castello pipe cleaners or a wooden tamper, and the pipe box itself is wrapped in white paper for that extra little touch.

I can't recommend them highly enough.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Currency fluctuations, shipping cost (transit time, likelihood of getting lost or confiscated, the possibility of my getting soaked by import duties, and at least with some new goods whether prices are adjusted by region by the manufacturer) have long figured in my calculus.

But even if I'm more in the just looking category, rather avidly on the hunt, I can't say I'm seeing bargains I know I'll regret passing up.

For instance, as nice as the straight-grain, five-starred, unsmoked, circa-2000, Dunhill billiard currently on offer by the Danish Pipe Shop might be, "add to basket" isn't my first thought at $6426.

A mere bag-a-tell, Sir!

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I've had zero issues ordering from them. I've placed an order from Tabaccheria Corti on the same day that I placed an order from smokingpipes and the order from Italy arrived three or more days before the one stateside. T.C. does a great job with their shipping, packaging, and customer service. They expertly pack your pipes, frequently throw in a nice "thank you" like some Castello pipe cleaners or a wooden tamper, and the pipe box itself is wrapped in white paper for that extra little touch.

Yup. Would agree with you Litup. Always great service from them and the little touches you mention too, makes for a great experience.
I would also highly recommend them too. ?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Credit cars are notorious for messing with credit card rates on every purchase you make. Say the dollar equals a Euro 1 to 1. Credit car companies tack on fees and scam as many cents as they can from you. You never know how much they crewed you until you get your monthly payment. At least that was how ts worked in the Cuban cigar world. The few tins I did buy of Three Nuns 20 plus years ago, I don't remember if it was the same but I am pretty sure it was.

UechiBrett

Lurker
Jun 7, 2022

Thanks for the info! Definitely feeling better about ordering now! Now I have to go shop ?.

Reactions: litup