PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
It's one of my favorite shapes. A nicely made Dunhill X101 is to me the quintessential billiard

Untitled-112.jpg

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I think the fact that I started my pipe collection in earnest by inheriting a number of cheaper billiards from my Grandfather put me off billiards and even straight pipes for a while. Now I don't even really look at bent pipes when shopping and the billiard is one of my favorites. If I'm not smoking a straight billiard I'm probably smoking a straight dublin or bulldog. I'm actually smoking a Peterson billiard right now, though it is the sandblasted 2018 Christmas Pete. Something about a sandblasted billiard always catches my eye, especially if it's got an army mount.

Jun 23, 2019
Here's a pedantic question: is there a distinction between a taper vs saddle stem? Or are both 'billiards'?

I've always considered this to be a classic Danish billiard (but it does have a saddle stem):

zkLZ964l.jpg

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
I love them! But I get why they maybe to plain to some people but they are machines light efficient perfectly shaped for the job at hand

Reactions: Laurent

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Love billiards but haven't owned one that was a comfortable clencher (mainly due to weight). I'm sure I could find one if I really wanted.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Love billiards but haven't owned one that was a comfortable clencher (mainly due to weight). I'm sure I could find one if I really wanted.
Most pipe retailers include weight In the pipes' specifications

Many company have lightweight/featherweight lines (eg Ropp and Stanwell)
Whether you like them or not, Dunhill shell billiards are generally lightweight.

Quite a few artisans make lightweight straight billiards. Bruno Nuttens, Regina Scarletta, Il Duca come to mind. LePipe.it have a great selection from those makers.

I have quite a few old straight and bent billiards (mainly BritWood estates) that are short/small/light that should be excellent clenchers (I don't).

I suppose when you see one that calls out to you, you'll make your choice.
Meanwhile, happy browsing and hunting.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
For pipes in general i'm more hunting for a certain bowl size. In regards of a billiard; I like them, but I like the Canadian family iteration more. I'm partial to 6 or 7 inch straight pipes with short stems. I also prefer a saddle bit, so I when looking at straight pipes I like Lovats or Lumbermans more and i've yet to find one that fits the bill. I have a Stanwell which is sold as a bent billiard, but again a very lose representation of the Danish billiard as the bowl is not straight and its more like a apple-ish egg.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I just pull out my copy of The American Psychiatric Association Practice Guideline for Sociopaths and Psychopaths and it says not liking straight classic billiards in a leading indicator of those illnesses.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I enjoy a wide variety of pipe shapes, and I seem partial to all of the most straightforward shapes including billiards, pots, and pokers, both for their simplicity and the great variety of nuances in design that can make then dynamic and unique looking. The difference between a stolid traditional billiard and one with design, flow, and energy is immense.

Reactions: Merton