Anyone have any experience with these makers?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cthulhu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
I've been looking into buying a few new pipes, and was wondering if anyone owns a Tom Leedy or Ron Fairchild pipe or has had any experience with them.
Thanks

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I have a sandblasted billiard by Ron Fairchild which I purchased new from an e-tailer about a year and a half ago. It has a VERY comfortable saddle bit and the bowl is probably a group 5 in size.
I was a little apprehensive at first because the walls of the bowl seems so thin; I was afraid it was going to feel hot to the touch. Well, I don't know what voodoo Ron practices, but it's never overheated regardless of the tobacco (usually a McClelland English blend of some kind).
This past May I met Ron at the Chicago pipe show and told him how much I enjoyed his pipe. He was very grateful for the compliment and wished me well.
I consider Ron to be one of the finest (though perhaps under-valued) American pipemakers today.

cthulhu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
Thanks for the info bigvan.
I really like his sandblasted "raw" finish, and think his canadians and pokers look really nice. His pipes are a bit pricey (for me anyway), but a good pipe is worth the investment. You sound very pleased with your pipe, and am sure I will contact him to place an order.

Status
Not open for further replies.