PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
That's correct. Fuente quality is fantastic, only Padron is close. It's simply a matter of whether or not the flavor profile hits your sweet spot.
The roll quality of the top Padrons are hard to beat.
IMO consistently better than Fuentes, even their Opus X
And don't even mention Habanos in the same breath (Cohibas and Trinidads included)

Flavour is a different matter - I love Habanos

But I find it hard to be impressed with a cigar's flavour if the draw is impossible and the cigar (talking "high-end" sticks) "boats"

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
The 8-5-8's were my go to also for many years. $65-70/Box back in 1989. First box of cigars I bought, after buying a box of Joya de Nicaragua... which sucked, but there was a war going on there. That said, Joya's are pretty good cigars nowadays also. Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibers were another favorite.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoked plenty of Carlito's experiments over the years and some were so freaking strong especially after just eating breakfast. He would drag us to the rolling rooms and grab a cigar off the rolling table and then told us to smoke one of these fresh. He wanted to see one of us puke which I of course didn't. He would get a kick out of us retro haling fresh Opus and would make all the rollers watch as we smoked these heavy hitter. cigars. I won't forget a fresh Ashton VSG Illusion off the rolling table. My two cigar buddies had trouble getting them down and Carllito loved it. He was a bit sadistic but in a funny way.
He loved challenging me as I could retro hale any thing he could put in front of me. He wanted his rollers and tasters to be able to do that.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Oh yeah ... love me a good Arturo stoggie. Too bad that we get to little opus x in my country, it always runs out before I can get me some.

Reactions: alwayslit