PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
This flake was milder and less dark than what I was expecting. It's certainly has me rethinking what a dark flake is supposed to be. I'm inclined to think of it as a brown flake, both in appearance and strength. Maybe the term "dark" in this case is intended to distinguish it from Astley's other offerings? In any case, it's a beautiful smoke. But I won't recommend it, if only to somehow make it more accessible. How often does SP restock? ;)

Navy flake, Balkan, golden flakes, dark flakes... just terms used to market a recipe, and they all don't seem to have any strict rules for what is what. Heck, look at GH&co Dark Flake in comparison to Astleys. I don't think it matters which terms they use.
I, too, think this one changed not long ago. I like the older version better as well. Won't be buying any more of this,

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I just recently finished a tin of this with about 4-5 yrs on it…it was fantastic. I gotta believe that these “changes” must’ve happened after 2017? Cause if not, the previous version must’ve tasted like ? ?s . ?☕

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This flake was milder and less dark than what I was expecting. It's certainly has me rethinking what a dark flake is supposed to be. I'm inclined to think of it as a brown flake, both in appearance and strength. Maybe the term "dark" in this case is intended to distinguish it from Astley's other offerings? In any case, it's a beautiful smoke. But I won't recommend it, if only to somehow make it more accessible. How often does SP restock? ;)
The blend was changed sometime after 2013. It's always been a mild flake. Dark and brown are often used interchangeably.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Yeah, I've got a dozen plus tins left that I purchased from 2014 and was scared off from adding anymore after hearing about the changes to the blend. I'm content with what I've got on hand.

Razorback

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2019
Atlanta, GA
2016 is the approximate time period where the change supposedly took place, based on feedback I’ve seen from guys who really love the stuff. I bought a lot of fresh tins several years ago due to its reputation. Seemed pretty “meh” to be and I sold the stacks of tins off at cost before finishing the first tin.

I’ve had aged samples from friends that were awesome. Circa 2013, I think.

leonardbill1

Lifer
May 21, 2017
Denver, CO
Good to know. I've been looking for some stoved straight Virginia flakes and had (now past tense) this on my list. Not that it was available anywhere online ...

I had a similar experience with Mac Baren Vintage Syrian. My line in the sand is 2013, a year where I was still happy with the blend. I bought several pounds in 2015 which upon my first taste was unrecognizable, and not for the better. My take on that one after reading the public feud was that, while it was still blended in the same proportions, the source of some of the leaf had changed.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Hmm, K&K changes another well regarded blend for the worse. Sounds familiar.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
That sucks that 44 has changed. I loaded up back in 2012-2013 as it was hard to get even back then. It is a nice medium brown color and certainly not a strong flake. It just has a ton of flavor and is one of my favorites. Does anyone know if they messed with Astleys no 109? That was a very dark wrap around flake while milder in flavors, was much darker than 44.