PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
that's weird. I've known some people have that issue. I personally have never had any issue with it.
I've usually got a continuous draw going on for 4-5 complete breaths in and out. Are you actually using your inward breath of your lungs to pull smoke out of the pipe?

Tobacco-Taco

Lurker
Feb 25, 2021
Sweden
I did as you suggested, Bob, but it didn't work for me and I ended up accidentally inhaling the smoke. I tried to burn a small portion of the bowl and barely relight, but that didn't work either. This time I was inside the garage, too. Here's the thing: I get HITS of HINTS of maple every once in a while, but that's all. I'm starting to think that someone who didn't have his or her morning coffee accidentally packed my sample bag of some cheap Sutliff blend, because that's the feeling I have. I even get the same ''Burnt ash'' feeling in my nose when smoking it. I have now smoked this blend for three days straight, and by now it's starting to feel like I'm turning insane. As quoted by Einstein: “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
So much to take in from this excellent thread. First, that it took a year for your order to arrive to Sweden! Talk about expectations!

Secondly, I love the way my garage smells after developing a proper fog. When I return I savor what remains in the air. Can’t say that after smoking an…

No aromatic bashing for 2022 - my New Years resolution. ☝️?

Loved the YouTube video. Pipe smoking is a fascinating mystery from one day to the next. Same pipe, same place, same tobacco, same method result in good, bad and ugly smokes.
05F94CD5-E7A7-496D-83B5-CD895A123995.jpeg
Even when you primarily smoke and enjoy one blend, this happens.

Sometimes a day or two away livens the tastebuds. At times your mood or the weather or a change of pipe will provide a nirvana smoke. It’s a mystery only pipe smokers can understand.

Tobacco-Taco

Lurker
Feb 25, 2021
Sweden
So much to take in from this excellent thread. First, it took a year for your order to arrive from Sweden! Talk about expectations!

Secondly, I love the way my garage smells after developing a proper fog. When I return I savor what remains in the air.

No aromatic bashing for 2022 - my New Years resolution. ☝️?

Loved the YouTube video. Pipe smoking is fascinating from one day to the next. Same pipe, same place, same tobacco, same method result in good, bad and ugly smokes.

Even when you primarily smoke and enjoy one blend, this happens.

Sometimes a day or two away livens the tastebuds. At times your mood or the weather or a change of pipe will provide a nirvana smoke. It’s a mystery only pipe smokers can understand.
Hahaha, this is actually just the latest of a bunch of orders I've done from the US. But in regards to the youtube video I found, he perfectly describes what I taste and my thoughts.

Reactions: Grangerous

Infantry23

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 8, 2020
Smithsburg, Maryland
I find Autumn Evening to be immensely flavorful. I ordered a small bulk amount because I like it so much.

Honestly, the first time I tried it a few years ago I wasn't so enamored but now I have learned how to extract the most from the blend and it is really rewarding for me.

As others have said, go slow because this one can heat up and you lose the flavor.

Reactions: anotherbob

Tobacco-Taco

Lurker
Feb 25, 2021
Sweden
I find Autumn Evening to be immensely flavorful. I ordered a small bulk amount because I like it so much.

Honestly, the first time I tried it a few years ago I wasn't so enamored but now I have learned how to extract the most from the blend and it is really rewarding for me.

As others have said, go slow because this one can heat up and you lose the flavor.
I'm drying it right now and will try it in my English-dedicated pipe, because I think my aromatic pipe is f**d up for some reason.

Tobacco-Taco

Lurker
Feb 25, 2021
Sweden
I'm drying it right now and will try it in my English-dedicated pipe, because I think my aromatic pipe is f**d up for some reason.
Well that didn’t do much, except giving me a smoky background. Better than hot air, I guess. BTW what do you guys mean with smoking slow? Infrequent puffs or long, slow draws?

Reactions: Grangerous

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Well that didn’t do much, except giving me a smoky background. Better than hot air, I guess. BTW what do you guys mean with smoking slow? Infrequent puffs or long, slow draws?
Neither.

Try this with one bowl. Make the only time you draw as necessary for lighting. Once lit, no more drawing and very little puffing Just clench the pipe and sit back and forget about it. Breath through your nose.

After a while you’ll understand that it takes very little smoke to “taste” your tobaccos.

As Chasing Embers said, “Wisps not plumes”.

You’ll smell the smoke. Taste the smoke. Enjoy it…. without having to think. In fact, do something to take your mind off of the pipe. Check your phone, read or rearrange something. Guess what? All of a sudden you’ll grasp the meaning of slow down.

Tasting flavors in smoke is very subtle. You’ll get more than enough smoke without drawing and puffing and worrying about cadence. Cadence happens.

Tobacco-Taco

Lurker
Feb 25, 2021
Sweden
Neither.

Try this with one bowl. Make the only time you draw as necessary for lighting. Once lit, no more drawing and very little puffing Just clench the pipe and sit back and forget about it. Breath through your nose.

After a while you’ll understand that it takes very little smoke to “taste” your tobaccos.

As Chasing Embers said, “Wisps not plumes”.

You’ll smell the smoke. Taste the smoke. Enjoy it…. without having to think. In fact, do something to take your mind off of the pipe. Check your phone, read or rearrange something. Guess what? All of a sudden you’ll grasp the meaning of slow down.
Well isn't that rather counter-intuitive? The funny thing is that I've watched quite a few reviews of this blend where they are puffing away yet still taste it, which makes me suspect that I got a bad batch, or that it dried out in the ziplock bag for a month en route to me. I sort of regret that I didn't buy a can instead of a standard bulk bag, since cans usually last forever unopened and preserve the flavor much more effectively.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
This fall I was looking around and trying a few aromatics for a change of pace. I bought a tin of Autumn Evening and smoked through it without much complaint and even bought a few more tins to have around later. It'll be a seasonal thing more than likely.

The fact that it's a virginia aromatic is what prompted me to give it a try and I definitely prefer it to burley aros. It's not a gooper, it burns nicely and it tastes pretty good. The biggest issue I had with it was the initial tin note - it stunk up the room. To me, it's kind of a dirty diaper/bad dairy kind of association. But after a couple of weeks of dipping into the tin, that bad funk diminished a lot. Lastly, I love the beard note.

Tobacco-Taco

Lurker
Feb 25, 2021
Sweden
After so many failed attempts to enjoy the blend, I'd advise putting it in a jar and coming back to it in a couple of weeks. If you still don't like it, come back in 6 months.
Yeah I think I will let it rest in the jar for a while, but I've also heard that storing aromatics takes away the flavoring, and considering it's already weak, I fear what a few months of jarring will do to it.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Yeah I think I will let it rest in the jar for a while, but I've also heard that storing aromatics takes away the flavoring, and considering it's already weak, I fear what a few months of jarring will do to it.
A few months won't do anything. I have some autumn evening in a jar from 2018 and it's still delicious. Your taste buds and technique will change far more in 6 months than the tobacco will.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

Wildlands

Might Stick Around
Jan 17, 2022
NC, USA
That never worked for me. I close off my throat to prevent breathing in the smoke.
I've tried using that method as well, but I don't see a way to do it without keeping your throat open. Inevitably a bit of smoke gets into the lungs that way, so I canned that method and just draw in normally using my mouth and keep my throat closed off.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Well isn't that rather counter-intuitive? The funny thing is that I've watched quite a few reviews of this blend where they are puffing away yet still taste it, which makes me suspect that I got a bad batch, or that it dried out in the ziplock bag for a month en route to me. I sort of regret that I didn't buy a can instead of a standard bulk bag, since cans usually last forever unopened and preserve the flavor much more effectively.
weird fact beyond technique it takes a while to acclimate to really tasting tobacco from a pipe. No idea why but the longer I go on with it the more flavors I get even when I smoke thoughtlessly and fast.

Tobacco-Taco

Lurker
Feb 25, 2021
Sweden
After reading some more on the internet, I found out that Autumn Evening is rather prone to bad batches. Maybe I should order a tin and hope for the best.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
After reading some more on the internet, I found out that Autumn Evening is rather prone to bad batches. Maybe I should order a tin and hope for the best.
It may be a time thing as well. Aromatics can often take years of smoking to fully appreciate.

Reactions: mso489

Hobbs

Lurker
Jan 12, 2022
Central New York State
I am a beginner pipe smoker and have taste buds that have permanently gone on vacation. I have started with mainly Aros and taste nothing.
Members here instructed me to retrohale since the taste sensation is mainly with the smell through the nose.
And also, I have read countless times that you will NOT taste the aroma you get from the tin or pouch.
Today I tried a bowl of C&D Smooth English and ”tasted” a good amount of flavor with retrohaling. I also used a cheap, but brand new, Cobb as I am experimenting with taste and ghosting.

Reactions: Chasing Embers