PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
I recently bought an eight ounce tin of Palmetto Balkan by C & D. On reading the ingredients I saw various orientals, Red Virginias and Latakia. My question to the wizened group is what is the difference between a Balkan blend and an English?

"I gots to know....."

Reactions: Servant King

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
Marketing.

Just kidding. But also sorta not.

I think the generally accepted explanation is that the oriental leaf is more forward in a Balkan blend than it is in an English. Which I have found to be true for the most part. But if you expect that to always be true, you're going to be disappointed occasionally.

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
Marketing.

Just kidding. But also sorta not.

I think the generally accepted explanation is that the oriental leaf is more forward in a Balkan blend than it is in an English. Which I have found to be true for the most part. But if you expect that to always be true, you're going to be disappointed occasionally.
Sounds might subjective if you ask me. So, it is a definite maybe......

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Anything without added flavoring is technically English because of the purity laws. Today this usually means Latakia blends but not always. Balkan Scottish and American styles are all English as are the blends just called English which are just Latakia forward and don't fit into any other category. Spicy forward is Balkan to me. Usually the spice comes from Oriental or even Virginia perhaps but can be Perique too. Scottish is a balanced blend where no one thing is forward and usually has a cavendish component to it though Balkan can have Cavendish too. American English usually adds a Burley to the pronounced flavors.

Compare Balkan Supreme (Balkan), to Pease Abingdon (Balkan), Charing Cross (Balkan) and Kensington (Balkan) to Father Dempsey (English) and SG Commonwealth (English) or SG Squadron Leader (English) or Boswell Northwoods (English) to Red Rapparee (Scottish), WCC Blue Ridge (Scottish) or Sutliff Match 20 (Scottish). You'll get a good range of what these denominations present and the you'll know what they are. It will be a great exploration of English tobacco.

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
Anything without added flavoring is technically English because of the purity laws. Today this usually means Latakia blends but not always. Balkan Scottish and American styles are all English as are the blends just called English which are just Latakia forward and don't fit into any other category. Spicy forward is Balkan to me. Usually the spice comes from Oriental or even Virginia perhaps but can be Perique too. Scottish is a balanced blend where no one thing is forward and usually has a cavendish component to it though Balkan can have Cavendish too. American English usually adds a Burley to the pronounced flavors.

Compare Balkan Supreme (Balkan), to Pease Abingdon (Balkan), Charing Cross (Balkan) and Kensington (Balkan) to Father Dempsey (English) and SG Commonwealth (English) or SG Squadron Leader (English) or Boswell Northwoods (English) to Red Rapparee (Scottish), WCC Blue Ridge (Scottish) or Sutliff Match 20 (Scottish). You'll get a good range of what these denominations present and the you'll know what they are. It will be a great exploration of English tobacco.
That's a very thorough explanation. Still sounds a bit subjective, but I kinda get it. thanks

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
I love a Balkan and what I love about them over English blends is I get a really sweet buttery taste from the oriental leaf that is almost completely subdued in a english blend with Latakia taking the lead and it’s dark flavours of leather, camp fire, creosote et al. The sweetest buttery Balkan blend I have discovered and my go to is Mac Baren Balkan blend, a sublime smoke for me and it ages incredibly well.

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
My personal experience is similar to what other stated with Balkans being more oriental forward.

To date the most “Balkan” blend I have had is Balkan Sobranie by Germain. Their orientals were very different from others. To me it had an ocean salt spice to it that reminded me of the salty air. I know it sounds absurd and off putting, it was not, just quite different.

Englishes tend to have more of the stone fruit and citrus notes coming from the Virginia and then the latakia plays some part depending how much is added.

But in the end your palette may taste something different!

Reactions: Choatecav

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
All Balkans are English, but not all English are Balkan.

Actually it’s my understanding that “Balkan” is a term didn’t exist until recent history.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
That's a very thorough explanation. Still sounds a bit subjective, but I kinda get it. thanks
That's because it is subjective. There is no accepted definition.

SG Balkan Flake is just Virginias and Latakia.

A marketing term to liken a blend to the old Balkan Sobranie. Some smokers will just class a high percentage oriental blend with Latakia as a Balkan but Latakia itself is an oriental.
This is the way I understand how the term has been used. For me, the classic Balkan is the old Balkan Sobranie Original Smoking Mixture, in the white tin. I first smoked it in the early 1970s, and that's what I think of. Hearth & Home White Knight is very, very, very close to that. I personally cannot smoke the current version of Balkan Sobranie. Balkan Sasieni was my go-to when I wanted that taste, before White Knight.

I have used this analogy myself: If the latakia is in the driver's seat, and the (other) orientals are in the back seat, it's an English. If the orientals are in the driver's seat, and the latakia is in the back seat - or maybe not even in the car - it's an Oriental. And if they are equal or darned close, it's a Balkan.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Yes, the marketing guys have thoroughly confused us, but I go with a Balkan is a heavy Latakia blend that creates a heavy smoke of latakia around the user. An English blend doesn't create as much smoke around you.

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
Most everything about the pipe, likes/dislikes and blends, in particular, is subjective. There are no, thank God, any governing agencies regulating terms, shapes and such. It's a very personal habit and will remain such I hope. It's all subjective!
Amen and Amen.....................

Reactions: kcghost
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
To my mind, English vs Balkan is to pipe tobacco as Stout vs Porter is to beer.
In long forgotten days, there might've been a distinction.
But so far as naming goes, it's always just "Whichever sounds better".
That’s a perfect analogy, really. A particular porter was once described as “extra stout” and that label took on a life of its own. Just like a popular English blend with “Balkan” in the brand name. 👍

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Note that there are several Oriental and Turkish tobaccos that are used in Balkans and English blends, with Latakia being arguably the most well known. Some are buttery and rich, while others are spicy and a bit rough. Personally, I'd consider a blend Balkan that which one experiences a light sourness and spiciness in the taste and often a tingle in the back of the throat. Not unlike what can be detected with Perique, but an entirely different flavor profile.
My preference in Balkans is for a lighter touch in the addition of Orientals. IMHO, A heavy hand results in a bit of harshness and a rough edge. Same with Perique for me. I do love well balanced Balkan and Perique blends - just not in your face. Like all pipe tobacco styles, a well balanced Balkan can be good & stout and be a fantastic smoke! Now, Latakia...bring it on in spades!!! 😍

It's as easy as this... They are all latakia blends. "English" is what twits call all latakia blends.
Balkans are specifically inspired by the original Balkan Sobrane, with a very specific mix of Orientals. Some blenders have no clue what they are doing, so they will call any latakia mixture a Balkan, for whatever reason.
But, there are no rules, so if you are going by what is written on the tins, then God help you, ha ha. That is written there to merely get someone to buy the tin, "period"

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
It's not "subjective." Rather, it's arbitrary. Tobacco marketing departments and their customers use the terms "English" and "Balkan" to refer to blends with latakia. However, the English made, and continue to make, lots of blends that do not contain latakia. As for the Balkans, latakia does not come from there and has no connection to that part of the world. There is no reason to use these terms. A better and less ambiguous term, pedantic though it might be, is "latakia blend."