PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
IMG_20231101_150540.jpgSo I've got 2 of these Butane pipe lighters from P&C. I like them because of the fold out tools included. Easy to pocket. But damn are they finicky. The Stanwell usually works ok but every now and again will just stop lighting. The baraccini i just got and only fires up 1 out of every 50 clicks probably. Its horrible. I think ive gotten the air out and refilled properly but maybe someone can offer some tips. They spark every time, so it's definitely a gas issue. I want to like these, but i may have to go back to bic.

Reactions: AroEnglish

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I got one of those free with a pipe earlier this year (didn’t even know it was coming) - felt cheap and destined to fail so I tossed it.

Reactions: AroEnglish
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Buy a Bic or Zippo and use the lighter money for more tobacco.

The concept of those lighters is great, but seems destined to fail. I'm still looking for a great Bic lighter holder with pipe tools attached, but have resigned myself to carry a pipe tool since I'm not crafty enough to design what I'm looking for.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
Buy a Bic or Zippo and use the lighter money for more tobacco.

The concept of those lighters is great, but seems destined to fail. I'm still looking for a great Bic lighter holder with pipe tools attached, but have resigned myself to carry a pipe tool since I'm not crafty enough to design what I'm looking for.
Check out my latest post. I found one today.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
I have a Xikar that is similar to those. It has the fold out tools and can be a bear to get to light. I fiddle farted around with that thing for ages, watching the spark jump around inside and occasionally lighting. I messed with the little spark wire inside trying to get it to light more reliably and nothing. Then I shone a flashlight into the little combustion chamber and noticed that it had quite a bit of soot built up in there. Took a torch lighter for cigars and directed the flame into the chamber, burned off all that soot and it lights consistently now. When it starts to misfire, I know it needs the soot burned out. Might give that a try with yours to see if it makes a difference.

K.E. Powell

Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Unfortunately, those lighters are cheaply made. I'll spare you my thoughts about what the best method for lighting pipe tobacco is (I'm rather particular), but a lot of these pipe branded lighters are not actually manufactured by that brand, but instead outsourced elsewhere, usually China. They're almost all universally shit.

Bics can be decent, but since they cannot be refilled, they create a lot of waste and controlling/angling the flame can be difficult for some. I prefer a decent Zippo with a pipe chimney when I cannot use matches. Zippos have a lifetime warranty, are made in America, and are easy to upkeep and fairly sturdy.