PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Red Leader

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2022
Colorado
Looks great! Did you use a stain on that stummel and if so, do you mind me asking what color/type? I really like the color tone you got. I use wood stain on some of my refurbs but find the briar doesn't really hold the color very well and it becomes hard to match the original color if I am trying to blend.

Thanks!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Looks great! Did you use a stain on that stummel and if so, do you mind me asking what color/type? I really like the color tone you got. I use wood stain on some of my refurbs but find the briar doesn't really hold the color very well and it becomes hard to match the original color if I am trying to blend.

Thanks!
No stain at all. I just cleaned the bowl with Murphy's Oil, and used maybe 2 or 3 coats of carnauba wax.

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
Keeping my fingers crossed. I hope it works better than the cyanoacrylate based fillers. They mostly fall off after a few uses.
What do you use to insert into the back so the cyanoacrylate based filler won’t adhere to it after it dries? I’ve heard scotch tape works but haven’t tried it yet.

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
Surface prep is important. Scrape out the opening a bit to expose clean material. Still, there isn't much for the epoxy to adhere to. Did you coat the wood backing with something to act as a release agent?
What works as a release agent? Vasoline based product? I read scotch tape works too? But is that for what he is using or can it be used for cyanoacrylate based fillers too?

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
You could scotch tape the wood backing . It will also give a more smooth patch on the inside of the stem.
CA glue sucks, it will become brittle and fall off . Never really worked for me.
It's good to fill shallow tooth marks though. TM is right, work with a black to black transition.
Apart from your good care, the stem will eventually oxidize, the patch will not .
What is TM?

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
I believe he was referring to me, and my comment of removing oxidation before applying epoxy so that the transition would be from black to black instead of oxidized to black.
Just thought I missed something in the process. Trying to get as much information from those decades beyond me and do these pipes right. TY