PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I just picked up my first BBB pipe. On one side of the shank it has the BBB diamond logo over BEST MAKE over NE PLUS ULTRA. On the other side of the shank it is printed MADE IN ENGLAND over the number 300.

The stem has HAND CUT stamped on one side, and I’m pretty sure it is a brass BBB diamond badge on the top side of the stem.

If you zoom in on the photos I think you can see everything fairly clearly.

I have done some google research (most of which led me to postings here on the forum), but I can’t find anything conclusive. Based on my google searching, my best estimate is that this is from the 50s or 60s and was probably towards the top of the line. I know Ne Plus Ultra essentially means “none better” in Latin, but I also know many meaningless phrases have been used to sell pipes.

Can anyone give me more info on this pipe? I didn’t find that 300 shape anywhere I looked, but I really wasn’t able to see that many catalogs. I only saw what they have posted over at Pipedia.

8E88B2D1-2CAE-419D-83FA-2DFB861E200B.jpeg
BCD1CE15-7F1B-4604-BF70-7CFB89641F4D.jpeg
The windcap was probably not original to the pipe (it just had little pressure clips holding it). I’m pretty sure a previous owner added it. I have already subtracted it.

Reactions: bluegrassbrian

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
The first mention I found of the BBB Ne Plus Ultra was in a 1950 directory of Fancy Goods Brands; the last was in 1961. It might well have started a little earlier and ended a little later but if you assume it’s probably a 1950s pipe you’re on pretty safe ground.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ryan and OzPiper

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The first mention I found of the BBB Ne Plus Ultra was in a 1950 directory of Fancy Goods Brands; the last was in 1961. It might well have started a little earlier and ended a little later but if you assume it’s probably a 1950s pipe you’re on pretty safe ground

Wow, that's pretty cool, great info and find.

Reactions: Ryan