Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Leyor

Lurker
May 4, 2024
UNITED KINGDOM
I'm quite new to pipe smoking, so I'm on the learning journey at the moment, everything it trial and error. What difference does bowl size make to the actual smoking experience of the pipe? For example, will it affect flavour, smoke production, burn, tongue bite etc, etc?
Is bigger or smaller better?
What, if any are the differences.
Thanks😉

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
What difference does bowl size make to the actual smoking experience of the pipe? For example, will it affect flavour, smoke production, burn, tongue bite etc, etc?
Other than duration of smoke, I find little to no difference between one pipe and the next. All of what you describe is due to technique of the smoker.

Reactions: Leyor
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
For me, it was finding what works for my preferences. Too narrow was annoying as I like to get my finger in there and move things around sometimes. Too wide and it’s just too much surface area that I wanted to deal with.

I can’t say I ever found a huge difference in flavor in the blends that I smoked (small sample size) but mechanically they annoyed me until I found what I liked.

Reactions: Leyor

Leyor

Lurker
May 4, 2024
UNITED KINGDOM
For me, it was finding what works for my preferences. Too narrow was annoying as I like to get my finger in there and move things around sometimes. Too wide and it’s just too much surface area that I wanted to deal with.

I can’t say I ever found a huge difference in flavor in the blends that I smoked (small sample size) but mechanically they annoyed me until I found what I liked.
Thank you, that does make sense😉👍