PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BT2492

Lurker
Mar 8, 2024
I have an SRV Lattice bent billiard pipe that unfortunately came with a fragile acrylic stem. Ive since replaced it with a more resilient acrylic stem, but I really love the Cumberland stem on my Peterson Irish Harp. Per recommendations found here, I'm planning on sending it in to Briarville to have a custom cumberland stem made. The problem is they're 30 days out, and i only have one briar pipe for while it's gone.

Does anyone know of any meerschaum pipe companies that use cumberland stems? My search has been pretty much fruitless. If i have to buy another pipe for a month while mine is getting a new stem I'd rather it be another meer, but I am very much not liking acrylic stems and I'd rather not have to have a custom stem made any time i decide to buy a new meer. Thanks!

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Peterson's Harp line of pipes have acrylic stems that are just the same color as a cumberland stem. think Cumberland is more similar to ebonite but I'm not 100%. Not sure who makes them for meers.

Sorry I couldn't help you more on your search for a new Cumberland stem for your meerschaum.

Pooh-Bah

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2023
Central Maryland
When I purchased my meer from Altinok it was described as having a Cumberland stem. Being ignorant in the ways of Cumberland, the most I can verify is that it's reddish and seems sturdy.

BT2492

Lurker
Mar 8, 2024
Peterson's Harp line of pipes have acrylic stems that are just the same color as a cumberland stem. think Cumberland is more similar to ebonite but I'm not 100%. Not sure who makes them for meers.

Sorry I couldn't help you more on your search for a new Cumberland stem for your meerschaum.
Thank you for this! It appears you are right. Peterson uses "cumberland style acrylic" which I mistook as cumberland because it shows chatter marks and feels softer than the acrylic stems I know.

That begs another question- why does this peterson acrylic feel so much better in the mouth than the acrylic from the 2 other brands I've experienced? It seems to exhibit the same characteristics of cumberland from what I've read.

Being a manufacturing engineer, I'm well aware that "acrylic" is a catch-all term for a certain variety of plastic composites, so i guess a revision to my question now should be- what meerschaum makers use a similar "cumberland style acrylic" to peterson? Astas at least uses acrylic similar in appearance to peterson, but it's a gamble, as I don't care about look nearly as much as i care about feel.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Thank you for this! It appears you are right. Peterson uses "cumberland style acrylic" which I mistook as cumberland because it shows chatter marks and feels softer than the acrylic stems I know.

That begs another question- why does this peterson acrylic feel so much better in the mouth than the acrylic from the 2 other brands I've experienced? It seems to exhibit the same characteristics of cumberland from what I've read.

Being a manufacturing engineer, I'm well aware that "acrylic" is a catch-all term for a certain variety of plastic composites, so i guess a revision to my question now should be- what meerschaum makers use a similar "cumberland style acrylic" to peterson? Astas at least uses acrylic similar in appearance to peterson, but it's a gamble, as I don't care about look nearly as much as i care about feel.
Some pipes with vulcanite stems
will turn green within a few weeks of use. Then there are other pipes that are over 100 years old with vulcanite stems that are still as black as night after regular use. Not all vulcanite is created equal as some vulcanite has a higher sulfur content than others, causing it to turn green quicker.

Not all acrylic is created equal either. Some acrylic is more pliable and easier on the teeth than others. Some shatters easily while other stems may be more resilient. I’ve had cheaper made in China acrylic on meerschaums that was awful. Slippery on my teeth, hard to clench, and poorly shaped. Then I’ve had Italian-made acrylic that was almost as easy on my teeth as vulcanite. As with most things, the quality variation with acrylic can run the gamut.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Some pipes with vulcanite stems
will turn green within a few weeks of use. Then there are other pipes that are over 100 years old with vulcanite stems that are still as black as night after regular use. Not all vulcanite is created equal as some vulcanite has a higher sulfur content than others, causing it to turn green quicker.

Not all acrylic is created equal either. Some acrylic is more pliable and easier on the teeth than others. Some shatters easily while other stems may be more resilient. I’ve had cheaper made in China acrylic on meerschaums that was awful. Slippery on my teeth, hard to clench, and poorly shaped. Then I’ve had Italian-made acrylic that was almost as easy on my teeth as vulcanite. As with most things, the quality variation with acrylic can run the gamut.
on my experience Savinelli and Stanwell make very descent Acrylic stems

Reactions: kcghost

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

I’ve only tried one Castello but I found that their acrylic has a particularly smooth mouth feel.

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
I have an SRV Lattice bent billiard pipe that unfortunately came with a fragile acrylic stem. Ive since replaced it with a more resilient acrylic stem, but I really love the Cumberland stem on my Peterson Irish Harp. Per recommendations found here, I'm planning on sending it in to Briarville to have a custom cumberland stem made. The problem is they're 30 days out, and i only have one briar pipe for while it's gone.

Does anyone know of any meerschaum pipe companies that use cumberland stems? My search has been pretty much fruitless. If i have to buy another pipe for a month while mine is getting a new stem I'd rather it be another meer, but I am very much not liking acrylic stems and I'd rather not have to have a custom stem made any time i decide to buy a new meer. Thanks!
I have a beautiful cumberland stem Altinay, straight from the factory. However, I might ask Vermont Freehand if he can make one as well as @RustiePyles CPG

• Love
Reactions: Said.ALTINAY