12 Fresh Caminetto Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

King Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
My tenon on my military mount broke. I was able to remove the tenon from the mortise. I cleaned it all with a bristle pipe cleaner and gave it a light sanding then used a bit of super glue (surgical grade) to repair the clean break. It broke at the bottom of the bulb cleanly. 20240126_161812.jpg

This is the first time a military mount broke on me. It is meant to be removed hot and I needed to remove a bit of stuck, unburnt tobacco. Horrible luck but lucky I was able to repair it without a gap. Used my surgical glasses and a probe to spread the glue.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

King Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
With that tenon, it's less military mount and more standard mount. A traditional military stem extends to a taper with no milled tenon.
Well that's news to me. Thought military mounts were due to the flared metal cap at the end of the shank. I got a replacement coming from P&C for no charge. Just need to return the pipe. Didn't think they would take it back since it was smoked. They said it didn't matter since it was within the 30 return window.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
What @Chasing Embers said. That's not a military mount. Just a standard tenon. The metal cap at the end of the shank just made it look like a military mount even though it isn't one. Next time don't pull it out hot!

Here's a pic of a true army mount:
890335169_o.jpg

Last edited:

King Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Tough break no matter the type of stem it was. Seem like we had a question like this and @georged recommended some other glue than super glue.
I just used the cheap way and had them replace it. My surgical grade glue was not super strong. I mean it is made for cuts lol. Got alot of jokes in the conference room about me conducting surgery on a pipe. The chief told me he has to write me up for losing such a beautiful patient.

• Haha
Reactions: Chasing Embers