PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I don't dislike Burley except for the Codger blends. I like a number such as Eight State Burley, Solani Silver, Reiner Gold and WCC Deluxe Crumb Cut. HU Dockworker is very good.
Mark, I have smoked Reiner Gold and for some reason the white burley in it makes the blend taste like crap to me. I first tried it over 20 years ago and gave away the tin. I tried it again maybe a decade later and same thing, damn white burley kills it for me. I wanted to love this one. It is a gorgeous wrap around flake, has some nice Perique and is just a well made tobacco. Glad to hear you enjoy it, I am sure it ages great.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Mark, I have smoked Reiner Gold and for some reason the white burley in it makes the blend taste like crap to me. I first tried it over 20 years ago and gave away the tin. I tried it again maybe a decade later and same thing, damn white burley kills it for me. I wanted to love this one. It is a gorgeous wrap around flake, has some nice Perique and is just a well made tobacco. Glad to hear you enjoy it, I am sure it ages great.
I find the white Burley provides an unique flavor I kind of like. I have around 3 lbs of it in the cellar.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
The OP's list was a fine one.

I'll put another coin in the hat for Solani Silver Flake and Reiner's Golden Flake. Both are stunning blends.

Lots of my regular rotation has burley or DFK in (aside from the two above). Namely Old Gowrie, Doblone D'Oro, Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong, War Horse Bar... I could go on.

Then again, I'm no burley hater.

Reactions: UncleRasta

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Have you tried Peterson's Perfect Plug? It's quite strong nicotine-wise but the burley leaf they use is absolutely fantastic. It's very rich and flavourful and is not at all like cigarette tobacco.
The other burley I highly recommend is HU Makhuwa. To my mind It's the best burley blend around at the moment.
Agree on 3P’s (Peterson’s Perfect Plug), although, I don’t find it all that strong but I’m also a dipper so no pipe tobacco really feels “strong” compared to dip but it is a full bodied, creamy, delicious smoke to my palate. I haven’t had Makhuwa but I will also recommend another HU blend, Dockworker. It’s got Burley, Orientals & VA. it’s great stuff!

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
If you dislike burley, why would you look for one to try? I dislike pancakes; so why would I try pancakes at Waffle House, IHOP, and Denny‘s to find one I don’t dislike as much?

I am a long time pipe smoker and cannot handle the nicotine in burleys. I will stick with Virginias and English/Orientals and leave the burleys to you stronger guys.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
If you dislike burley, why would you look for one to try? I dislike pancakes; so why would I try pancakes at Waffle House, IHOP, and Denny‘s to find one I don’t dislike as much?

I am a long time pipe smoker and cannot handle the nicotine in burleys. I will stick with Virginias and English/Orientals and leave the burleys to you stronger guys.

Because not everyone owns massively broad paintbrushes.

• Haha
Reactions: aspiring_sage