PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
52 years of pipe smoking hundreds of modestly priced pipes. Never a burnout.
Me either (but only around 35 years). But I know smokers who constantly get burnout - not sure how they do it, but it has to do with hard constant puffing...I think. When I received a badly burnt-out pipe (see pic below), I contacted the Pete expert :), and he said "no problem" and gave me detailed instructions on the repair. This was sort of a white whale, so I really did not want to give up on it.

(There is a story behind this pipe, but basically, it was an honest seller mistake and he totally took care of me).

xUkAl0m.png

BLHvcYm.jpeg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Me either (but only around 35 years). But I know smokers who constantly get burnout - not sure how they do it, but it has to do with hard constant puffing...I think. When I received a badly burnt-out pipe (see pic below), I contacted the Pete expert :), and he said "no problem" and gave me detailed instructions on the repair. This was sort of a white whale, so I really did not want to give up on it.

(There is a story behind this pipe, but basically, it was an honest seller mistake and he totally took care of me).

xUkAl0m.png

BLHvcYm.jpeg
That's a beauty, can see why you stuck with it. Was it possibly a problem with the cake? Was the outside of the bowl compromised? Anyway, glad to see the end result.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
That's a beauty, can see why you stuck with it. Was it possibly a problem with the cake? Was the outside of the bowl compromised? Anyway, glad to see the end result.

No, the outside of the stummel was pristine - just dirty and a bumpy finish (the pic shows the stummel after restoration). The chamber had a thick coating applied by a pipe store.

When scraping off the coating, the poorly-cured pipe mud fell out of the back in chunks. I whimpered.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Twenty some smokes in, my C Marxman Jumbo is not any uglier than my other Bob Marx pipes, it’s a dynamite good smoker, and the bowl has a perfect black carbon film, and it’s smoking as cool as any pipe that size can smoke.

Yet all I’d have to do to burn it out tomorrow is load it up and light it and stick it out the window of my car on the highway, or direct an air hose in the chamber, or toss it in a fire.

Proper curing helps a briar pipe resist burnout. So does proper break in, and a thin film of carbon. But technique is a huge factor, how much it’s hard to say.

Reactions: john19