PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JackOrion

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2023
West Yonkers California
Has anyone noticed a difference in butanes? I bought what’s touted as a high grade fuel and it works flawlessly in my Old Boy. The same canister doesn’t fit my Kiribi so instead I use a big can of Mega. The Kiribi doesn’t work anywhere close to as well as the OB. Sometimes it burps with a small flame ball and goes out immediately. Other times and more often it takes several strikes to light. Occasionally it lights right up.

I have plenty of fuel left in each canister so I’m in no hurry to buy another can, but I’m starting to wonder if the Mega brand might be the culprit.

I should mention that last year I took the Kiribi to the Tetons and it was useless at that altitude and hasn’t worked the same since.

Reactions: JOHN72

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I just use the colibri premium and it has the old school top that has the different nozzle adapters built in. Purofine High Performance is the other i use and it has always been great for really old crappy lighters, they light up like new.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Has anyone noticed a difference in butanes? I bought what’s touted as a high grade fuel and it works flawlessly in my Old Boy. The same canister doesn’t fit my Kiribi so instead I use a big can of Mega. The Kiribi doesn’t work anywhere close to as well as the OB. Sometimes it burps with a small flame ball and goes out immediately. Other times and more often it takes several strikes to light. Occasionally it lights right up.

I have plenty of fuel left in each canister so I’m in no hurry to buy another can, but I’m starting to wonder if the Mega brand might be the culprit.

I should mention that last year I took the Kiribi to the Tetons and it was useless at that altitude and hasn’t worked the same since.

Does the Mega tip fit the OB? If so, try it and see if the performance suffers. Pretty straightforward way to see if it’s the bow or the arrow.

Reactions: fMf Piper

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yes I always read that the more refined, the better. But 3x or 7x I'd never know the difference. I never have serious problems filling my old boy, but in my butane sometimes I feel like the nozzle connection isn't that great when filling, as in some spray out.

Do they make adapters you can buy alone? Or do they only come with certain bottles of butane?

F

fMf Piper

I have found the cheap butane causes problems with my cigar torches, regardless of the cost of the lighter.

F

fMf Piper

How would one know which size they need?
That is a good question, and sadly, I do not have the answer to that. I came across the adapters when searching for something eles, but none of my lighters require an adapter. Wish I could have been more help.

Reactions: didimauw

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yes I always read that the more refined, the better. But 3x or 7x I'd never know the difference. I never have serious problems filling my old boy, but in my butane sometimes I feel like the nozzle connection isn't that great when filling, as in some spray out.

Do they make adapters you can buy alone? Or do they only come with certain bottles of butane?
usually the adaptor is in the lid. They usually have several and if you look at the lid you'll figure out what bits are the various adapters and how they slot on.

Reactions: trudger