Can a Replacment Stem Cause a Gurgling Mess?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
New Cigars
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
Title edited for capitalization and brevity.

I had a replacment stem made for a Baki. I decided to go the route of ebonite. Now this was my best smoking english pipe. Affter receiving the pipe back, i noticed the bowl would ofter gurgle. Quick pipe cleaner down the stem would alleviate it, but it didnt occur on the original stem. I would assume it is attributed to the new stem. Is there a work around to this issue? I cant or should i say I wont be using the services of the maker of the stem, so sending it back isnt really an option.

Last edited by a moderator:

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Peterson tapers the channel in the stems on their system pipes in order to “extract” moisture into the well. Perhaps the channel is too narrow?

Reactions: Searock Fan

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
How many bowls have you smoked utilizing the new stem? One or two is certainly indicative of nothing other than a loading problem or, possibly. a wet blend. A continuing problem? Certainly I would suspect the replacement. Is the airway in the new stem smooth? Will a cleaner pass smoothly?

isaac

Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
How many bowls have you smoked utilizing the new stem? One or two is certainly indicative of nothing other than a loading problem or, possibly. a wet blend. A continuing problem? Certainly I would suspect the replacement. Is the airway in the new stem smooth? Will a cleaner pass smoothly?
ive had it for a few months. Doesnt matter what is smoked through it. Airway appears smooth and cleaner does pass smoothly

Reactions: warren and jiminy

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Not all replacement stems are created equal. One of the hardest parts to do is the bit.

Is there a difference in the bit between the original and the replacement?

isaac

Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
Not all replacement stems are created equal. One of the hardest parts to do is the bit.

Is there a difference in the bit between the original and the replacement

There is a difference in the shape. The original stem from Baki was way too narrow and thin. I had another saddle bit made, and then a traditional curve. The curve is tending to give me the issue.

isaac

Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
E25DC204-1468-4292-B36D-A39C3C6587A4.jpeg

Top one is the original stem. Middle is the ebonite and the bottom is acrylic. I seem to have more gurgles with the ebonite but can occur occassionally with the acrylic.

tenton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 8, 2019
I like the appearance of the ebonite stem the best, but you say it's the worst smoker, so I'd go with the Baki stem. Baki may know a thing or two about stem making and what works best with his pipes. I agree with ashdigger. I've returned quite a few high dollar pipes that had turbulent or whistling stems.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
For what it’s worth. I know a well respected artisan pipe maker, whose specialty was stem work, and smoked a baki calabash pretty much exclusively for 5 years. He wore through the bit and fashioned a new high quality stem for the pipe. The pipe never smoked the same for him.

Reactions: didimauw

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Both the ebonite and acrylic stems appear to be thicker towards the button that the original. Not sure why that would cause gurgle, unless they induce more saliva that's getting into the airway.