Can anyone provide info on this pipe? (Estella / B.A. Pargh)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ThePiedPiper

Lurker
Dec 18, 2023
I bought this pipe at an auction. It looks to be unsmoked and unused. My guess is that it was sitting out on display somewhere for years, because there was a ton of dust in the bowl and stem is dull and brownish from UV damage. Nothing that some sanding, buffing, and swabbing won't take care of though.

The pipe came in an Estella box, but I have no idea if it's actually an Estella pipe. The only marking on the pipe itself is the name "B.A. Pargh," and googling that doesn't come up with much.

Any help IDing this would be greatly appreciated!

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

• Love
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Nice pipe, as they say on them there pipe smokers' forum things. I don't know anything about the pipe, but if I had to guess, I'd say it was made by Savinelli for the B.A. Pargh entity, whatever that is. A pipe by that name is mentioned on Pipedia as a Savinelli Autograph second, as you have probably already discovered, but the evidence seems weak to me. I do have an Autograph second called a "Handmade" with no other Savinelli markings, so I suppose it's possible. Big help, right?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
As far as I know Estellas were always rusticated. Estellas were Savinelli Autographs that had flaws, and rustication would solve that problem.

ThePiedPiper

Lurker
Dec 18, 2023
You have an Estella box, but not an Estella pipe. Below is a photo I just snapped of three pipes with the Estella finish:

View attachment 291920

The logo on your box would be stamped on the pipe:

View attachment 291921
Thanks for the info!
So it definitely seems like it's not an Estella. Weird that the auctioneers paired the pipe with the box. Oh well--only a few bucks lost.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey