PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Have been smoking this all week. And while I don't love it. I really like it a lot. It's a very agreeable smoke. Kind of like a slightly higher end codger blend in my opinion. For one it smokes really easily for a flake. In fact I've been smoking it in my pipes that don't normally like flakes too much. It's highly pleasant and agreeable. Though the more I do smoke it the more I am picking up on and so my opinion might end up being even more favorable as time goes on.
@btp79 thank you so much. I am really glad to have tried this one and it's certainly got a spot in the regular rotation.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I almost smoked through my first tin almost and somehow it was "meh" to me, but I think it's unfair to decide on that without having a not fresh tin of it being virginias. I have a tin of it left, I'm going to let that sit for 5 years. For a straight virginia I like Golden Sliced more straight out of the tin. And yes some say there is perique in it, I don't get a slightest hint of it.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I had a 10 year old tin of the yellow and really enjoyed it.
What is the difference between the blue and the yellow?
I'm not certain but the Yellow seems to be lighter leaf and it also seems to have a topping. I think it needs a few years to tone down the topping then it is very, very good.

Both could previously be purchased in bulk at Estervals but that unfortunately it's no longer an option. However,the per tin price is around $7.50 US and is still a good deal if you buy enough to offset the shipping. I think shipping would be around $35 if you bought 30 tins so it makes sense.

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
Just tried the Blue. My tins are young from 4/21 The flakes are very nice burn well. I like it but it is not better to me then Newminster 400 or PS Navy Flake. I I like Orlick better. I have Two tins to put up. Not worth the premium price to me so far.

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
Capstan Yellow is very similar to Orlik Golden Sliced. Some brighter Virginia with a bit of bergamot topping. Very classical Danish Virginia flake flavor.

Capstan Blue is a shade darker (but not by much) and has no bergamot. Instead it has something a little peppery (but not Perique) added. Wish I knew what it was. It's subtle. Some tins you don't even pick it up. Best aged. Jar it to allow some oxygen to hit the leaf and then come back to it a year later after it ripens and darkens.