PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Capstan Yellow is very similar to Orlik Golden Sliced. Some brighter Virginia with a bit of bergamot topping. Very classical Danish Virginia flake flavor.

Capstan Blue is a shade darker (but not by much) and has no bergamot. Instead it has something a little peppery (but not Perique) added. Wish I knew what it was. It's subtle. Some tins you don't even pick it up. Best aged. Jar it to allow some oxygen to hit the leaf and then come back to it a year later after it ripens and darkens.
That's weird because I distinctly pick up bergamot in the blue. Not really strong but that hint of it. Kind of like if you left a plain va next to a box of earl grey for a day or two. But even though it's faint I am pretty darn sure it's there because honestly it was one of the first things I noticed. Hey a little tiny bit of bergamot.

Ocam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2020
Spain
Not my blend. It's easy to get here in the tobacco shops and cheaper than average, so I've given it a few chances. But I find the Virginias meh and I don't like the topping.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@Ocam : But think of all the Hobbits and their admirers who smoke the stuff. I remember my late Father bringing me a load of the Capstan Blue over from Germany as a result of a business trip circa 1982. It came in this weird zip lock type of blue pouch. Most tobacco in those days came in tins or you could buy loose tobacco from jars at the tobacconist if you were of the adventurous type. I had seen Capstan before but never quite in the blue presentation style of the Germans! I wasn't enthused although for some odd reason I did like those square tins of Richmond with the Art Deco style painted label.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
After smoking the blue, I'm finding the yellow to be underwhelming. Perhaps with some age it will improve.
Give it a little aging and you will think otherwise. When I smoked fresh yellow, it gave me a more bitter touch. Let it sleep for a few years and you will see what a rich chocolatey aroma, in tin. Then you smoke it and it is more intense, sweet and strong.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I almost smoked through my first tin almost and somehow it was "meh" to me, but I think it's unfair to decide on that without having a not fresh tin of it being virginias. I have a tin of it left, I'm going to let that sit for 5 years. For a straight virginia I like Golden Sliced more straight out of the tin. And yes some say there is perique in it, I don't get a slightest hint of it.
So you prefer aros

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When Capstan Blue and Gold Flakes came out I bought a test tin of each. I loved the Blue and thought the yellow was just ok. It had too much citrus flavors for my tastes. I quickly added over 150 tins of the Blue Flake to my cellar. A few years ago Smokingpipes found a batch of 2013 Gold Ready Rubbed in the back of a warehouse. I did my usual test tin and then ordered another 25 or so. It still didn't compare to the Blue Flake but it had lost that real citrusy thing I didn't care for. I like the Gold RR in a couple of my big group 6 pipes with my morning coffee.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
And yes some say there is perique in it, I don't get a slightest hint of it.
Same here. There are a few of us folks who just cannot detect one bit of it, and I think we're all being gaslighted by the ones who say it's there. Speaking of which, Gaslight does not have perique, but seeing as such a tangent could easily derail Bob's lovely thread, I'll just shut my trap now. ?

Reactions: BROBS

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
@Ocam : But think of all the Hobbits and their admirers who smoke the stuff. I remember my late Father bringing me a load of the Capstan Blue over from Germany as a result of a business trip circa 1982. It came in this weird zip lock type of blue pouch. Most tobacco in those days came in tins or you could buy loose tobacco from jars at the tobacconist if you were of the adventurous type. I had seen Capstan before but never quite in the blue presentation style of the Germans! I wasn't enthused although for some odd reason I did like those square tins of Richmond with the Art Deco style painted label.
Cute little tins they were, decent flake too. Still very popular now, albeit in round tins.
image.jpeg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Same here. There are a few of us folks who just cannot detect one bit of it, and I think we're all being gaslighted by the ones who say it's there. Speaking of which, Gaslight does not have perique, but seeing as such a tangent could easily derail Bob's lovely thread, I'll just shut my trap now. ?
That's good cause I was about to get the shut up stick out. You know the one a.k.a. jaw breaker. :)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Sounds good to me!

Seriously, though, I'll get it back on track. Capstan Blue is a great VA flake. Liked it much better than the gold one.
great band. And unlike some people (insert murderous sideways glances) I like their old stuff and their newer stuff all of it. I don't care what kind of label they're on.