PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pipes505

Lurker
Jul 14, 2023
New Mexico
Buona sera! I’m wondering whether anyone knows how I’d find out when Castello stopped stamping their registered trademark number on their pipes. I haven’t been able to find an answer online. If anyone has any knowledge or leads, it would be much appreciated!

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
?? Good Question. What else is stamped on the pipe? I don’t collect or pay much attention to the long shank pipes, for all I know the are still stamping them with the reg number. I’ll have to poke around tomorrow

Reactions: Banxian

Pipes505

Lurker
Jul 14, 2023
New Mexico
Thank you so much. The shank has the number 32 (which might be a model number?), then Castello Sea Rock Briar, Made in Cantù Italy. And the Reg. No. That’s it. The stem has the faux diamond, but interestingly, the stem is also very faintly stamped “Hand Made Castello 3”.

It’s one of my favorite pipes in my collection.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
The "HAND MADE" stamp was used in 1969. 1969 was the conversion year when Castello went from machine made to hand made pipes, plus the year Franco Coppo joined the firm.

Mike

Reactions: Pipes505

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
For what it's worth.... I bought several Castellos in 1963-4 and they all have reg. numbers on them. My next Castello purchase was a new one in 1971 and it does not have a number. puffy

Reactions: Pipes505

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
I just reviewed this and after the images ... the Hand Made is stamped on the stem, not the shank. Thus please forget about me suggesting it was made in 1969. The Hand Made on the shank was used in 1969. Even current era Castello's have Hand Made on the stem.

Maybe contact Castello via Castello.net

Mike