Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
It’s just not in me to publicly call out a pipe manufacturer.
I assume you'll be sending the pipe back along with this photo and the manufacturer (or dealer) will immediately apologize and send you either a refund or preferably a credit for double the amount the pipe cost.

At that point you can make it all public and use it as an example of the amazing customer service you received for what is obviously a very isolated incident. ( I'd have to conclude it was a one off because surely, someone else would have noticed something this severe)

If they don't, you would then be doing a public service by pointing out an obviously inferior product.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
The red stains, in my experience, have always been unstable. Not the older oxblood type but the newer brighter red/pink.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I’ve only had that issue with two brand new pipes, and while I won’t mention their names they rhyme with Peterson’s and Johs, lol.

I wiped them down thoroughly with an old t-shirt rag after each smoke and it eventually stopped coloring my hands but the fatal issue for both was stain inside the bowl, shank and especially the mortise. Just couldn’t get it out and believe me I tried everything. You can usually get the bowl remedied and the outside isn’t a huge issue, but man, that foul taste in the shank and mortise was brutal and persistent.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've had no problem with either my Petersons nor Johs, but this is not a minor defect. No one wants to settle down to a pleasant smoke and end up with their hands and maybe their clothes covered with residue. It shouldn't matter if the pipe is over heated or if the weather is hot. Apparently this is a problem in pipe finishing when it is done too quickly or with mis-application of the stain.

I can understand not wanting to get into a quality control discussion with the maker, but you'd be doing the pipe maker and potential customers a favor. I'd contact them with this picture and full details about the pipe, and see what happens. Otherwise, you probably have to refinish it at your own cost and expense of time.

Reactions: JOHN72