PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Very dangerous, slippery slope stuff here..
true. I try not to go into those places here but I'd wager I do it more often then I think I do. Side note just to make it clear, I explained that law as it was explained to me when I was trying to find out if it was legally safe for me to do a little fire in my yard. Kind of love having an official say "well officially no but you'll be fine so go for it."

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
true. I try not to go into those places here but I'd wager I do it more often then I think I do. Side note just to make it clear, I explained that law as it was explained to me when I was trying to find out if it was legally safe for me to do a little fire in my yard. Kind of love having an official say "well officially no but you'll be fine so go for it."

Forum rules are one thing.

Bit we have a fire ban like that in GA for part of the year.. some of the fines for burning are like 25,000 bucks, but people still do it. It creates a bad situation for the one who happens to piss off the ticket writer.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Forum rules are one thing.

Bit we have a fire ban like that in GA for part of the year.. some of the fines for burning are like 25,000 bucks, but people still do it. It creates a bad situation for the one who happens to piss off the ticket writer.
Wow sounds like not only is there a potential for abuse but that the potential is used. Here to get a fine that high you have to screw up. The only person I know of who got a fine like that caused a pretty big fire. Thankfully no one got hurt in it. Just a side note the person is one of the most selfish terrible people I've met (you can tell the first time you meet them, they have a look on their face that says they hate the world because almost everyone is a better person then them), and all they could do is talk about how unfair it was that they got fined for setting half a mountain on fire. (you know ignoring the fact that they could have actually gotten jail time, oh by the way they tried to pin it on their son just to give you an idea of how terrible they are).

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Wow sounds like not only is there a potential for abuse but that the potential is used. Here to get a fine that high you have to screw up. The only person I know of who got a fine like that caused a pretty big fire. Thankfully no one got hurt in it. Just a side note the person is one of the most selfish terrible people I've met (you can tell the first time you meet them, they have a look on their face that says they hate the world because almost everyone is a better person then them), and all they could do is talk about how unfair it was that they got fined for setting half a mountain on fire. (you know ignoring the fact that they could have actually gotten jail time, oh by the way they tried to pin it on their son just to give you an idea of how terrible they are).
Or you have the Volunteer firemen in places like Cali setting huge fires so they an go fight it and it burns out 100s of people, or the "eco warriors" in Australia that start giant fires, for the most part a lot of people are idiots and trash.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Or you have the Volunteer firemen in places like Cali setting huge fires so they an go fight it and it burns out 100s of people, or the "eco warriors" in Australia that start giant fires, for the most part a lot of people are idiots and trash.
that sounds not 100% accurate to me, which means nothing really as I have been wrong enough of the time that I suggest taking my opinions with a grain of salt ;). I know that firefighters can set "controlled" blazes to remove fuel, because we spent decades fighting every fire and well that turned out not to be the best idea as it leaves even more fuel for a bigger fire. Not disagreeing by the way just saying that my first bet (bet is a very key to what I am saying) is something like that happened and it went out of hand. Someone along the way misunderstood the concept that they were trying to fight fires and starting smaller ones for practical intentions and took it to mean we're bored lets make a fire so we have something to do. The one thing that makes does sound plausible though to me is that some volunteer firefighters are prisoners who have been well behaved, I could see a few of those guys setting fires so they don't have to go back to prison so soon. Who knows it's a pretty big and weird world.
As far as Australia goes and what people do there? I got no clue. There are always people who do more to damage their cause by being terrible, so to my mind that does sound really plausible.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA

Setting large out of control fires is bad business.. I burned my trash before I knew about the law. Burning trash is pretty common where I live and often a necessity.

GA is a pretty jacked up place these days.. I wish I had known some of this before buying my house. I might have just stayed on the other side of the river.

• Wow

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Setting large out of control fires is bad business.. I burn my trash before I knew about the law. Burning trash is pretty common where I live and often a necessity.

GA is a pretty jacked up place these days.. I wish I had known some of this before buying my house. I might have just stayed on the other side of the river.
I have no idea if it's true but several people I've know that have lived there feel that many of the laws there are just about making money. Can't say anything one way or the other, but can say at the least it makes a larger percentage of people feel that way then many other states do (some of these people have lived all over the country too). It's funny how the things that can make a place nice or not nice to live in aren't always the most obvious things.
Yeah the further out into the country you go the more common trash burning is and also the more common blatantly illegal trash dumping gets. Which makes sense cause the cost in money and time involved in dealing with trash grows exponentially. Like I don't even think about how little I spend on it.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I have no idea if it's true but several people I've know that have lived there feel that many of the laws there are just about making money. Can't say anything one way or the other, but can say at the least it makes a larger percentage of people feel that way then many other states do (some of these people have lived all over the country too). It's funny how the things that can make a place nice or not nice to live in aren't always the most obvious things.
Yeah the further out into the country you go the more common trash burning is and also the more common blatantly illegal trash dumping gets. Which makes sense cause the cost in money and time involved in dealing with trash grows exponentially. Like I don't even think about how little I spend on it.

They scared me, so I caved and signed on with em.. Now I pay 25 a month for a trash can.

• Wow