PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PaulDM

Lurker
Dec 12, 2022
I keep everything in tins other than what is in my current rotation (current way too many). Those are stored in mason jars, no special way of sealing.

Reactions: S. Lee H.
Aug 1, 2012
According to the OED, the definition of anaerobic is:

1. relating to, involving, or requiring an absence of free oxygen.

Makes no sense that you would need oxygen for that.

Incidentally, I don't use them as my tobacco is sealed in tins or jars.

Reactions: S. Lee H.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
According to the OED, the definition of anaerobic is:

1. relating to, involving, or requiring an absence of free oxygen.

Makes no sense that you would need oxygen for that
Little more than just that goes into the mechanisms at play. Aerobic microbes consume all the oxygen first and their waste and offgassing helps the anaerobic microbes get rolling.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Why would you do that? You want oxygen to help with the initial anaerobic aging process. Tobacco isn't food, put the tobacco into whatever container you are using to store and age it, seal it and leave it alone for however many years. That's what I've read and that's what I've done that has worked well for me.
I said anaerobic, should have been aerobic.

Aug 1, 2012
Little more than just that goes into the mechanisms at play. Aerobic microbes consume all the oxygen first and their waste and offgassing helps the anaerobic microbes get rolling.
This I know, but thank you for the clarification. I was simply addressing the terminology used.

Reactions: Sobrbiker

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Vacuum sealing a tin removes very little air. Just enough to keep the lid in place with minimal tin deformation. Packaged pipe tobacco has already been exposed to air for a long time, it doesn’t need more air, once jarred “to get started”.

The problem with oxygen absorbers is that there is still a lot of trapped air in processed tobacco that will never be reached. I’ve thought about flushing jars and tobacco with CO2, but to do that right, you need an anerobic glove box.

In the end, it just isn’t necessary. But it would make for an interesting experiment.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
Yup, the oxygen will be consumed by the tobacco fermentation, and turned into C02 which will pressurize the jar on its own. That’s why old tins puff up and can pop. Just use a quality good jar,,,

BayouGhost

Lurker
Apr 10, 2024
PA, USA
They are just packets of iron powder that is meant to sacrificially rust and "absorb" the oxygen by creating iron oxide. I do not use them for the reasons mentioned. I will jar or mylar and the aerobic processes naturally consume the oxygen over time before changing to anerobic. For rust control on tins, I just coat them with a light coating of food grade mineral oil before cellering. Any sort of non-spoilable grease or oil will do. Maybe wax. Just don't use anything with petroleum distillates.

Reactions: elvishrunes