PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Recon Paul

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2020
New Jersey, US
I have 3 briars. All cost $30 or less. Two are from crown and they are of significantly different quality despite being the same price. I assume this is because one is from a higher end line of pipes than the other?

How is Crown's overall reputation compare to Dr. Grabow? Folks always mention Grabow when talking cheap briars, but I never hear anything about crown. I got them because they were cheap. I have no experience with a Grabow.

My third briar is a Molina. It was my first pipe. I got it in a beginner kit. I figured it would be like a basket pipe, somehow defective, but still functional. That may be, the case but I sure can't tell. It far and away out-smokes the other two. When you pick it up, you can immediately feel a substantial difference in build quality compared to the two crown pipes. I see some good prices on Molinas. They strike me as a value if this one is typical, but I don't see much discussion of them. Are they a value? Is this one an anomaly?
  • Sport Rustic K6 019 - No filter
  • Jewels Black Sandblast C1384 (The better of the two crowns) - 6mm filter
  • Molina Kit pipe - 9mm filter
briars .jpeg

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I've been looking at a Molina pot straight in sandblast, from what I can find they're a good pipe for under $60, but some reviews reveal some issues here and there. I may pick one up one day, who knows.

marconi

May 17, 2019
England
Molina pipes smoke really well, becoming more popular in the EU.Quality pipes even at the lower end all Italian briar they seem to concentrate on the 9ml european market.I just bought a higher end spigot pipe, at a price well below comparable Savinelli or Peterson pipes

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
You've heard more about Grabow because they have been around forever.
I always advise new folks to smoke the best tobacco they can afford in the best pipes they can afford.
If your funds are truly limited, my advice would be to keep alert for bargains, estates and sales on good quality pipes.
Enjoy. puffy

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I have several Grabow's and enjoy them all. I have them from the time they were made in Chicago to when they moved to Sparta. Have yet to smoke a new one. I think $20 is the most I've paid, and I've got a few that were really just add ins with a couple of the racks I'd won.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cheap Briars? Did someone call my name? I don't own a Crown or Molina, but I have always thought they look like good serviceable pipes, along the Dr. Grabow lines. I like U.S. factory pipes because they have a certain retro look I find pleasing, but Molina and Crown may be the same for Europeans. Dr. Grabow, as near as I can tell, and modest in size as the company is, may be the largest surviving U.S. briar pipe factory in the U.S. I especially recommend the Royalton series for its durable acrylic stems which I suspect are more durable than the plastics in the other Grabow stems. As I say too often, I treasure my up-market pipes, but I have a special affinity for the well-made lower-end factory pipes, which while not works of art are often works of art in terms of industrial design, art for the many.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
You can easily find a superb estate pipe in good condition for under 50$ on auction sites. I have paid less than 10 for many wonderful smokers.
Yep, I bought a lot of 5 ish estates for around 40 cad I think, there was an old Brigham in there that is possibly my best smoker. But in terms of new pipes, I think Molina is a decent choice from what I've heard.
Personally I prefer buying a pipe new.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
from my experience price and smoking quality are only tangentially aligned. The quality control in theory should be more stringent on a more expensive pipe, but in practice it doesn't pan out too much except in certain brands (usually ones no one talks about). Mainly you're buying a fancier pipe not explicitly a better pipe when you spend more. The difference is if you buy a 30 dollar pipe and it smokes terrible you're not going to feel ripped off, if a hundred dollar pipe smokes terrible you're going to feel ripped off. So there is also a little bit of natural selection going on too a degree. A brand that sucks but is cheaper might survive as makers of beginner pipes. I like the way all three of those pipes look. I'd smoke any of them happily.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
When you buy an estate pipe how difficult is it to find new stems if they are chipped or damaged?
You can have Briarville make you a new stem for around $30.
I purchased this Savinelli Oscar 802 EX (without stem) at an antique shop for $4-5 and had Ric at Briarville make a new stem.

Before (as purchased from antique shop)
oscar 1 - Edited.jpg

After (new stem from Briarville)
image - Edited (3).jpg

Some chewed up stems can be repaired. I don't have the skill or the desire to repair a badly damaged stem.

Reactions: newbroom and mso489