PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
You can have Briarville make you a new stem for around $30.
I purchased this Savinelli Oscar 802 EX (without stem) at an antique shop for $4-5 and had Ric at Briarville make a new stem.

Before (as purchased from antique shop)
View attachment 120325

After (new stem from Briarville)
View attachment 120326

Some chewed up stems can be repaired. I don't have the skill or the desire to repair a badly damaged stem.
Yea that’s my concern. A $10 pipe and a $30 stem is $40 towards a new $60 pipe. But if I could buy new stems for $10-15 and just insert them myself…. Whalah..

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Yea that’s my concern. A $10 pipe and a $30 stem is $40 towards a new $60 pipe. But if I could buy new stems for $10-15 and just insert them myself…. Whalah..
Depends on the $10 estate pipe. I recently purchased a Barling (1950-1960's) at an antique shop for $4.50. The stem is a disaster. A new $30 stem makes it a $34.50 Barling...not bad. I wouldn't spend $30 on a new stem on a cheap no name estate.

As for buying a new stem that you can just insert into a pipe. I don't know if that can be done, I never looked into that.

Reactions: OzPiper and jpmcwjr

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Do
Don't forget to factor in the P&H.
Your $10 bargain has just cost you $60.

Both of these two estate pipes cost me @$25-35 each. The vendor is a pipe-maker, so they arrived in a true "ready to smoke" condition.

image.jpgimage.jpg

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Savinelli estates off the bay. Ask for guidance if you need help with a particular pipe you like on auction.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Some of the best pipes for the money are the old Caminetto's that were made by Radice/Ascorti. They smoke as good as most any other Italian pipe. You can get them for around 100.00. I personally went for a new Savinelli Linea Pui 5 Apple shape and it was the smartest thing I ever did. It showed me what a good pipe is supposed to smoke like. It gave me a baseline so when I did buy a crappy pipe(I had my share) I knew the pipe was shit. Don't start with shit because that is all you will ever smoke because you don't know any better.

Reactions: newbroom

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think with experience, you can buy good smoking pipes at every price level, as you learn the brands, materials, and other factors. You can always draw the short straw at any price level, but mostly, if you study it and pay attention, you can get a good smoking pipe at nearly any price.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I've been happy with Dr Grabow, but the new ones are all filter pipes, which I'm not fond off (and they're an extra step to clean with or without the filter).

I believe Crown is a Pipes & Cigars brand (owned by STG).

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Though I've never needed a replacement stem, Laudasi will replace Savinelli or Peterson stems with factory replacements for $35.
So you can just send them a Peterson and they'll replace the stem for a fee? That's easier than sending it to Ireland. I'll look into that, especially if they'll do acrylic stems.

I know Laudisi owns Peterson. Do they have an interest in Savinelli also? Last I heard Savinelli was family owned.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Do you like that shape? rotf
Used to. About a year ago I got rid of them and only keep artisan pieces and meerschaums now.

So you can just send them a Peterson and they'll replace the stem for a fee? That's easier than sending it to Ireland. I'll look into that, especially if they'll do acrylic stems.

I know Laudisi owns Peterson. Do they have an interest in Savinelli also? Last I heard Savinelli was family owned.

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
I want to ask, from where did you all buy those low price briar pipe? From garage sale? Antique store? Market basket pipes? Or from web sites? In my country, we don't have those, I can only search from web sites China made cheap briar pipes.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I want to ask, from where did you all buy those low price briar pipe? From garage sale? Antique store? Market basket pipes? Or from web sites? In my country, we don't have those, I can only search from web sites China made cheap briar pipes.
Cheap China made pipes may not be made of briar. There are a few recent threads on cheap Chinese pipes that were made of plastic and other materials, but made to resemble wood.

Most of my pipes are estates and some cost only $25-35 (from EBay) the same as the cheap Chinese ones.

You're welcome to PM me if you're interested in finding a couple of sources of cheap(er) genuine briars.

Reactions: tklee