PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabagool

Lurker
Feb 11, 2022
I bought a cheap pipe online as a 'beater' pipe but the coating inside the bowl is terribly applied and comes off when you rub it with a finger or cloth. Because if this, I'm reluctant to smoke it due to potential 'off' flavours.

What would be the better fix - rub the coating off with an abrasive cloth, or mud the pipe up inside and bake it in through smoking?

If I commission a pipe, I specifically request no coatings, I would rather break it in myself. If I buy one with coatings, I at least make damn sure anything loose is removed using water and paper towels if not emery cloth before I use it.

Some swear by honey and other remedies, but I just like a thin film of whatever I'm smoking to be my coatings.

Breaking in a pipe is part of the experience. puffy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wipe out what you can and sand it down a little if you must. I give extra points for pipes that come without a coating, trusting the experienced smoker not to puff like a locomotive. Usually, the coatings don't impart any flavor, and can just be smoked into submission. But if you are tasting this, I'd remove it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've read "beater" guitars, knives, and pens on other forums, but never a beater pipe.

IMHO. "beaters" should be your best because all you have to think about is the reason the tool exists to begin with. Sorry about the preposition.
I think it's been used in the forum for quite a while, IIRC. Regardless, I agree with your notion that it's one less thing to think about!

Some people have beater vehicles, often called "station cars" as they were left all day at the train station. I even have a beater laptop....

Gabagool

Lurker
Feb 11, 2022
I've read "beater" guitars, knives, and pens on other forums, but never a beater pipe.

IMHO. "beaters" should be your best because all you have to think about is the reason the tool exists to begin with. Sorry about the preposition.
Well, basically it cost £22 so I bought it just to smoke the heck out of it without worrying about ghosting, dedication or any fancy stuff people do with pipes these days. (I already have some nicer pipes for that)

I have bought a couple of these pipes from an online seller here in the UK who restamp factory seconds from an unknown maker and sell them cheap. The other one I bought is an amazing smoker, so I thought I'd take a chance in another one. And although it's very well drilled (which is a massive part of what makes a good smoker) the bowl coating is very bad on this one.

Reactions: Sweet Home Alabama

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
I had to scrub the coating out of my Peterson System pipe...water and a paper towel did the trick and the only change was a positive one!

Reactions: FurCoat

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not all low cost pipes are beaters. If you need a work horse pipe you can get good quality inexpensive pipes that will fill that role that have quality craftsmanship. I think of Kaywoodie pipes at all price levels, the ever faithful Missouri Meerschaum cobs, an array of French pipes like Ropp, Genod, Chacom, EWA, etc., Dr. Grabow pipes and especially their Royalton line, and quite a few other good brands from various countries and manufacturers. In UK, I think Parker and Hardcastle, and other brands, still make lower end pipes that are well made. No sense in taking a chance on a no-name basket pipe with an obnoxious coating, when for the same money, maybe less, you can get a pipe (with an un-obnoxious coating or none) and quality craftsmanship, and keep some of these proud old brands in business. Kaywoodie also makes Yello-Bole and Medico pipes, also well made.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Another good inexpensive pipe is the Rossi Vittoria, made by Savinelli. These are in various Savinelli shapes and have good Savinelli smoking characteristics, and SP has them for around $48. Rossi makes a variety of other series that cost a little more, but are all moderately priced. Most pipes will give decades of service. I have some that are over forty years old, so amortized over time, they are a dollar a year or less.

Reactions: Gabagool

Gabagool

Lurker
Feb 11, 2022
A quick partial update -

I got some Emery cloth and rubbed the inside of the bowl down. I couldn't get all the coating off without feeling as I was going to damage the wood.

I then flushed the pipe out and gave it a good dry and scrubbed it with a paper towel. Although, again, not all the coating is gone, but if I rub my finger in the bowl it no longer come out looking like Al Jolson.

I then ran a pipe cleaner through the shank, and am leaving it to dry a few days before trying it out.

Thanks to all who commented and gave advice.

Reactions: Professor Moriarty
Status
Not open for further replies.